MINI Cooper Forum banner

engine fan on more frequently

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  stewarth 
#1 ·
Hi, I've had my Mini Cooper since new in 2007.
I understand that the fan under the bonnet comes on after switching off the engine but lately I have noticed that the fan is coming on during a journey - I notice it especially when idling at lights/junction. The fan is not on all the time it comes on now and then and for short periods. This has not happened until lately. The car is serviced and the oil and coolant levels are normal. I have now clocked up nearly 100,000 miles.

Anyone else find that the fan comes on when motoring?
What might be wrong? :confused:
Thanks!

#3 ·
When idling in queuing traffic the fan will come on as the temp rises then once its cooled sufficiently the fan will shut off, if you are still idling the temp will rise again & the same will happen again until you get moving, then the air passing through the front grill will be sufficient to keep the temps down. It is normal for the fan to cycle on & off while idling in queuing traffic. If you feel its doing it more than it should you might benefit from a coolant flush & change if you haven't had it done for a few years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.