MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Clubman Barn Doors Won't Lock

15K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  WeeBad 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 Mini Clubman. Just recently, when I try to lock the doors with the key fob, all the doors lock except the split barn/rear doors. Is there anything I could try to do before I take it to a dealer? Thank you

#2 ·
I had a similar problem but it wasn't my car, it was me. I my defense I'm quite new to the world of the Mini. My Mini has a convenience option or something that allows me to operate the car without taking the fob out of my pocket.

I would lock the doors with the fob or by holding the button on a door. Later I'd look to see that the doors were indeed locked and then go around to check the barn doors. The back doors would open which made me believe they had not been locked.

The reality in my case was that the doors were locked but I had the fob in my pocket so they opened for me. It's a little embarrassing to admit that but I'm learning all the time.

Two days after I bought my car I called the salesman with a simple question and he was very kind. Since then I've learned to read my manual when I think there is a problem. So far there have been no real problems except for the realization that the Mini is more clever than I am.:biggrin:

#3 ·
Thanks for responding, and you were right! :eek: I tried opening the barn doors without the key fob nearby and they wouldn't open. Now I know that they are actually locked when I'm away. What I thought was a problem was actually a feature of my unique Mini. Thank you! :)

#4 ·
Fun little cars we have, always playful they are :D

After the door lock issue mine started playing tricks with my radio settings, every morning my presets were different. This kept up until I stopped using my wife's key fob to open my door. :redface:

I'm new to these cars and the young man who sold it to me is 30 years younger than I am. It's possible that He glossed over some things that are simply second nature to him and his generation. The Mini replaced a vehicle made in 1998.

In any case I found a great dealership that doesn't make me feel stupid no matter what I ask, even if I call a salesman at home. It's nice to feel so supported and I'm glad to help others in those rare moments that I actually have the answer. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.