MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 MCS JCW cooling system problem?

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Richard of the Hills 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

As summer approaches in Australia the days have been getting a bit warmer and I have noticed the radiator fan doing a little more work, however, the last few days have ben cool and the fan still seems to be doing more work than I would expect.

Today is a pleasant 23C and as I was accelerating up to the speed limit (70kph) after having been stopped at the shops for about 20 minutes, the "engine overheating" warning came on, with the advice to drive carefully and check the coolant system. The warning went away after a minute or so, and I drove gently home (no full throttle accelerating).

When I stopped, the overflow/expansion tank appeared to be empty. I had checked it cold yesterday and it was on the Max mark. As I watched, with the engine off, I could hear the electric water pump whirring and over the period of a minute or two the overflow tank started to fill itself to the Max mark.

I went for another drive about an hour later and this time the "engine overheat" warning came on briefly after I had been stopped at the shops for about ten minutes. I have just checked the overflow tank and it is empty. Where else is there to top up the coolant system or to bleed the system? I cannot find any obvious bleed caps/valves etc.

I cannot see any coolant leaks, there is no creamy sludge in the oil filler cap.

Anyone have any ideas??

Cheers,

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, a few days later I noticed a slow drip of coolant from under the engine, which turned into a steady stream in a very short time. I arrived at my favourite Mini service centre, parked in their workshop and said that i have a cooling system leak, evidenced by the rapidly forming pool of coolant on the workshop floor.... Diagnosis, cracked thermostat housing.
Major service and replacement of thermostat housing, replacement of front brake discs and pads (Brake pad wear sensors had not been fitted by the previous owner and "Cheap" pads had also been fitted on one side, for some reason, as evidenced by the much larger amounts of brake dust on the right front rim!!) and de-coking of the inlet ports. THEN, as I drove away from the service centre an engine malfunction warning message "reduced power" quick u-turn, diagnosis, BOV negative function. BOV inspected and replaced (service person said that it looked like it had been inoperative for a while, and i suspect that since I bought the car it had never worked properly).

It now drives like a different car, much more responsive, more POWER, doesn't knock! (and doesn't overheat) and is distinctly louder Psssh from the (standard) BOV! Niiiice!

Happy again! (well, $2000 worth of happiness).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.