MINI Cooper Forum banner

should i buy '07 MCS where chain tensioner needs replacing?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveM3 
#1 ·
i have the opportunity of buying a '07 MCS for a cheap price. however, there is a rattle at 1800 revs and seller says chain tensioner needs replacing. i am unsure how long it's been like this.

my question is: should i be put off by this? can this issue cause other, more expensive, problems - even though the chain hasn't snapped?

i've read many horror stories about the chain tensioner problem and worst case scenario - chains snapping leading to replacement engines

many thanks for any help - i have only just learnt of this common fault and know nothing of mechanics. cheers

#3 ·
thanks for the response. what about if 'Timing chain has been replaced with all the guides and tensioner., -Alternator belt, crank pulley and water pump pulley have all been replaced' basically all the regular/re-call faults have been sorted. what are your thoughts on this?

anyone else got any comments, for, or against?

#4 ·
The N14 engine has other problems besides the timing chain tensioner.

The N14 suffers from carbon buildup ("coking") on the intake valves which requires periodic "walnut blasting".

The N14 is also notorious for high oil consumption and you really have to be diligent about checking the oil level and keeping it topped up.

#7 ·
The thing is if the seller says the only thing is wrong is the fact the tensioner needs replacing, then why havent they done it then they could get more for the car, and then say its in A1 condition?
Or does the fact its not been done mean theres more than meets the eye wrong with it and they are just using the tensioner issue as an simple excuse?
I would be a little careful. :eeksurprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.