MINI Cooper Forum banner

Shattered rear window just combusted on convertible! Help!

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NoWindow 
#1 ·
Hi, I hope somebody can help me..

I've come down to my car today outside my house with the rear window on my Mini Cooper convertible completely shattered. The same as many others on here, no clear evidence of vandilism. The glass has soley fallen onto the top of my boot, not a single shard is anywhere in my car which leaves me to presume it has simply combusted!

I have rang mini after seeing this forum and told them that it is apparently a known fault that mini are aware of, but shock horror, they deny any knowledge.

I am happy to fight this and print off this thread etc but my problem is that I didn't buy my car from a mini dealership, it was bought from a dealer on auto trader and is 8 years old with obviously no warranty.

Do I still have a case? I have been quoted £2500 for the roof to be replaced including labour (as the window itself cannot just be replaced alone). If it is a fault, surely it should be irrelevant where I bought the car and the age of it?

Helpppppp......

#2 ·
... it is apparently a known fault that mini are aware of, but shock horror, they deny any knowledge.
I think the 'known fault' may be a little generous. It might be equally true to say that other owners have tried to claim this was not their problem when they found out how expensive it would be to fix.

I don't see how you could ever prove that the glass broke on its own - even something like a stone thrown up by a passing car could have broken it.

You may be able to get this on the glass cover of your insurance - though that would mean losing your no-claims which might not be worth it.

#3 ·
Only windscreens are covered on an insurance policy unless you make a claim that impacts your no clains bonus and claim history.

I cant see why a new screen cant be fitted to you orginal hood though.

As for Mini, forget it unless you are perpared to live weith no window for years or you are aiming to reclaim your costs.

#4 ·
I'm going off a whole other thread that I found on here where this has happened to so many people, dating back to 2004, where customers have had it fixed for free by BMW after they have accepted fault. It has happened to people while they have been in the car and it has just shattered. There was supposedly a service bulletin sent to dealers so they were aware of the issue.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge...ult.html#/forumsite/20499/topics/79384?page=1

It isn't covered by glass repair through my insurance as it's the whole roof so yes, it has to be a claim unfortunately.

As to why the manufacturers have made the car this way is beyond me as a window breaking should not be this much of an issue!

#5 ·
Hi, sorry to hear about your issues! We have the same problem. The glass in the rear windscreen exploded on it's own at 5.30 in the morning, and we know there was no foul play as we have a very clear CCTV footage of no one being near the vehicle and the glass being completely intact and then instantaneously imploding.

Did you get a resolution from Mini / BMW or did you have to pay for it yourself?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.