MINI Cooper Forum banner

What could these fault codes mean?

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've got an R56 Mini ONE that started idling erratically. The engine management light flashed and then turned off again. Then it stayed on.

It started running lumpy with a loss of power and the dodgy idle was still there.

I've just had it plugged into diagnostics which has revealed the following fault codes:

287D. Vanos inlet actuator movement
277D. Combustion misfire, cylinder two

I'm thinking that the coil might be to blame for the misfire but any ideas on the Vanos?

The codes were cleared but the engine management light came back within 10 minutes :(

The car is a 2009 1.4 petrol has 48,000 miles and a full Mini main dealer service history.

The problem is, I'm 200 miles away from home in Leicester and BMW Mini Synter in Leicester happen to the most unhelpful main dealer I've ever visited!

It seems to be running at full power again now but I'm reluctant to drive home without knowing what it is or fixing it. The dodgy idle and the engine management light are still present.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Fixed!

It would appear that the issue was being caused by dodgy spark plug(s).

They looked like the original BERU plugs. Swapped them for a nice set of NGKs from Euro Car Parts and it's sweet as a nut now.

I'd have thought that they'd have been changed before now seen as though the car is nearly 6 years old, has done 48,000 miles and has a full Mini service history.

When do Mini actually change them?

They were absolutely shot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.