MINI Cooper Forum banner

Petrol mini is sounding like a diesel tractor

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Gemmaw84 
#1 ·
Hi all this is first post on the forum. I've had my mini one 57 plate so the 1.4 engine for around 18months now and apart from the ridiculous amount of oil it uses things have been fine.
This week all of sudden after driving about 40 miles it started to make a really loud ticking noise- basically the way I can describe it loud like a tractor or Diesel engine. It has been doing ever since and really doesn't sound healthy to drive. I have seen this on the forum a while back so just wondering if anybody can shed some light ? Thanks

#2 ·
Hi everyone still having the same problem had the timing chain tensioner changed and it is still making a rattle slightly quieter but still there. Engine management light came on and code says it's the camshaft sensor. Could this be what is making the noise?

Any advice would be appreciated!

#4 ·
Change the CPS and go from there. Perhaps you could post a video of the sound. It could be anything from rod bearings to a broken crankshaft, broken camshaft, worn camshaft bearings, etc.

#5 ·
Here's a video of the noise, about 5 or 6 seconds after each start up you will hear a clatter. That's the main concern, the chain noise has quietness down a fair bit but nowhere near sounding perfect.
hubby has replaced the tensioner at weekend. He is wondering if the guides have disintergrated now that they are back under proper tension.
Engine still on obviously reading camshaft sensor code. He can't understand how a sensor would cause the mechanical sounds that we are getting when the engine is running ok just the odd stutter and obviously the noise!

https://youtu.be/6452TdxH-sw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.