MINI Cooper Forum banner

Clubman cooper d air intake issue

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hi guys/girls, looking for some help. I have just purchased a 2010 clubman cooper diesel for the missus, looks good and drives well. The only thing is when it is stood in traffic we get a smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin, it then disappears when you get moving again. The only thing I can see is the air intake hoses an d box are in a poor state of repair, hoses do not fit together properly and the clips have failed on the box. All this said I have taped up the joints and box just to see if the fumes disappear but they are still present. I think a replacement air intake is needed but where would the fumes be escaping from and into where? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Lb

#2 ·
If its the PSA engine (which I think it probably will be) the turbo sits at the front then have a look around the exhaust manifold and joint from the turbocharger to the cat/dpf filter. You may see some black soot on the heatsheild and possibly on the underside of the bonnet. Also there is a flexy pipe under the car which may be leaking so that will need checked too. I'd advise against driving the car if you smell exhaust gases inside the car as these gases are poisonous.

#5 ·
Update, there is definitely soot around the turbo and the underside of the bonnet. I cleaned this off and started the engine, you can see fumes coming from the underneath of the turbo, but because of the heat shield its hard to see the exhaust manifold. There is a small circular unit under the turbo and the fumes seem to be eminating from this, not sure though a it,s tough to see. I will try to upload a photo for you folks to see.

#6 ·
Found some info on this site suggesting that there are known problems on the clubman regarding leakage from the turbo then entering the cabin,which pretty much sums up the problem I have. Must be a joint/ gasket issue between the turbo and cat, car seems to drive well with no drop in performance so I,m assuming the turbo is working ok. I see a trip to a main dealer coming up, unless anyone knows of an experienced garage in the Doncaster/ Scunthorpe area?? Your thoughts are welcome folks.

#7 ·
The leaking will most likely be coming from between the exhaust outlet on the turbo leading into the DPF filter. I recently bought another Clubman with 127k on the clock with a FSH and decided to rebuild my turbocharger because there was a wee bit of end float on the turbine so it was a good opportunity to renew the rubber oil return pipe and upgrade the banjo bolts to the newer type as well as renew the turbo cartridge. I was advised against this by almost everyone but never the less I ignored them and saved myself a few hundred quid and bought the raw ingredients and set about it lol.

This is what your turbo should look like under the head shield

Turbo split apart

New turbo being built back up (On the dining room table lol)

I'd take the car back to the dealer immediately because it's NOT SAFE! Driving it in this condition will be dangerous and could poison you or worse it could kill you!

I hope these pics give you a better understanding of the problem

#8 ·
Hey Sean, nice post mate great pics. I bought the cooper privately so no warranty available to me, I,ll have to take it in to the local main dealer and see what they have to say, at least I am armed with knowledge of the problem and so won't let them pull the wool over my eyes.
Thanks again though for all your help Sean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.