MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bluetooth no longer working

54K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Cellerdweller 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm Annie, a newbie hoping to get some thoughts on how I might be able to fix a Bluetooth problem in my 2009 Cooper convertible ...

I've had the car since it was a year old and the Bluetooth has always worked fine. My current phone is an iPhone 5c which I paired with the car about 18 months ago and it's always connected automatically when I start the car. This morning, I used the Bluetooth to make and receive calls with no issues on the way to work but noticed on the way home that it wasn't connected.

I tried switching the Bluetooth on my phone off and back on, which made no difference, and also clicking the option to connect to the car, to which my phone told me the car didn't appear to be switched on or in range. I also tried switching the Bluetooth on the car off and back on to no avail, and tried switching the car itself on and off to no avail.

I then thought I would try un-pairing the phone and starting again. I removed the car from my phone's Bluetooth devices but now it doesn't seem to be able to 'see' the car at all - it no longer comes up in the list of discoverable Bluetooth devices. To eliminate the possibility that my phone is playing up, I've tried pairing it to my husband's car which worked fine, and tried searching for the car using a different phone with Bluetooth, which also can't 'see it' - so it seems like the car is no longer discoverable. If I press the telephone button on the car stereo, it comes up with 'search' and then tells me that pairable devices are within range and to follow the message on my phone screen to pair the device - but nothing comes up on my phone.

The car is going into the dealership just after Christmas anyway for a new water pump so I can ask them to take a look then, but in the meantime it'll be a real pain to be without Bluetooth as I make so many calls from the car, so it would be great if anyone has any thoughts on anything else I could try to get it back up and running.

Thanking you lovely people in advance :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Bluetooth

We have a 64 plate sad countryman and it has been in 3 times for phone problems, only to be told last week my Samsung s4mini is not compatible with it, or should I say Samsung phones are not compatible and was told to try a different make of phone when I upgrade as it's also a old phone, so not happy as its only been out 3 years and my one is only 14 months old, was thinking of calling someone to complain,

#6 ·
Do you have the armrest with phone port in it? If so then your problem on a pre LCI R55/r56 could be that the wires going to the armrest have broken due to the terrible design and shorted out, blowing the fuse that feeds the bluetooth module (and USB audio if you have it).

Chris

#9 ·
Hi everyone! I'm Annie, a newbie hoping to get some thoughts on how I might be able to fix a Bluetooth problem in my 2009 Cooper convertible ...

I've had the car since it was a year old and the Bluetooth has always worked fine. My current phone is an iPhone 5c which I paired with the car about 18 months ago and it's always connected automatically when I start the car. This morning, I used the Bluetooth to make and receive calls with no issues on the way to work but noticed on the way home that it wasn't connected.

I tried switching the Bluetooth on my phone off and back on, which made no difference, and also clicking the option to connect to the car, to which my phone told me the car didn't appear to be switched on or in range. I also tried switching the Bluetooth on the car off and back on to no avail, and tried switching the car itself on and off to no avail.

I then thought I would try un-pairing the phone and starting again. I removed the car from my phone's Bluetooth devices but now it doesn't seem to be able to 'see' the car at all - it no longer comes up in the list of discoverable Bluetooth devices. To eliminate the possibility that my phone is playing up, I've tried pairing it to my husband's car which worked fine, and tried searching for the car using a different phone with Bluetooth, which also can't 'see it' - so it seems like the car is no longer discoverable. If I press the telephone button on the car stereo, it comes up with 'search' and then tells me that pairable devices are within range and to follow the message on my phone screen to pair the device - but nothing comes up on my phone.

The car is going into the dealership just after Christmas anyway for a new water pump so I can ask them to take a look then, but in the meantime it'll be a real pain to be without Bluetooth as I make so many calls from the car, so it would be great if anyone has any thoughts on anything else I could try to get it back up and running.

Mine went out but I had a aftermarket bloody device to stream music so I use it for the phone also. They cost about &10.00 US

#11 ·

I’ve had this same problem in my R56 2010 diesel Mini. It’s been bugging me for months. The problem has been intermittent but eventually the Bluetooth just died completely. I replaced the wiring under the drivers seat and was at the point of dismantling the glovebox to replace the Bluetooth unit. Eventually I used a wired ODB2 scanner to see if it would report any alarms but there weren’t any. Just to check I cleared alarms and now the Bluetooth works fine. I’m assuming this is a software/firmware issue and not hardware. Maybe the system/unit gets into a locked state. Anyway that fixed it for me…

#12 ·
I had bluetooth issues with my 2013 jcw with the harmon kardon set up .it started whilst trying to use Spotify to stream music . The connection dropped out and the phone could not find the car and vice versa. I disconnected the battery and did a hard reset . Its worked ever since ,around 4 months . I have also upgraded my phone in the meantime. My previous was a Samsung note 9 and presently I'm using a Samsung zfold without issues .

#13 ·
its not to bad when its a software fart like yours must of been, trouble comes when its water ingress to floor area on them I have 2009 cooper s jcw convertible in a while ago hood leaked and water got so deep it was a puddle in the passengers side floor well (ie UK car) also took radio out as well, he needed new hardon Karmen amp and Bluetooth boxes that live under the seat,, £1750 from bmw as are dealer only coded and sourced , if I owned a convertible mini i would as i did to his floor drill a couple of 6mm holes in the lowest part part of the floor at least this lets the water back out ,, on these convertibles the roof hard plastics crack with heat and age around the back and sides of hood and when do the rain water misses the rain rails and dumps all the water in to the cabin ,, he also should of needed a new bcm ie another £1000 but I did manage to repair that with some solder and wires and new done away with the multi plug ,, he way lucky on the bcm most are not and are a need a new one ,, all because of a bit of rubbish plastic they used when made the car

#15 ·
its not just water, i've seen oil leaks near 02 sensor and this allows oil to travel up the cable inside the shielding and enter a ecu and over time destroy it, psa stuff have a know issue with same engine as mini where coolant sensor leaks and does same trick, and its very common, its all just made to fail i believe

#16 ·
Yep seen similar in my Ford days ,with the onset of common rail low and behold diesel cooled engine control units ,the fuel was leaking at the electrical connection and was being pushed up the loom . 1st time I saw it there was to say the least an element of head scratching. I'm 57 now so hopefully not too long before I can call it a day and just tinker with my bikes and JCW and it worry about the pressures of main dealer life :D

#17 ·
years ago when the vw 1.9 pd engines first came out remember changing a fuel sender unit on a 4 year old golf, found it was black and the diesel was as well ie dirty engine oil,, reason behind that was injector seals when fail it lets oil in to fuel system,, and i have lost count the amount of cars i have seen with ecu spiked by jump starting or taking battery terminals off at wrong times, little tip with the new stuff when jump start them should put head lights on first this will prevent spiking surges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.