MINI Cooper Forum banner

Dash lights not working STRESS

21K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Dellmaine 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 2012 mini one and the other week the lights on my dash stopped working. It's only the top half aren't working- the fuel meter doesn't work, the mph gage doesn't light up but the radio does? But it's in the same section? All lights below that work perfectly. Then the section above my steering wheel doesn't light up either and the Rev dial doesn't work, the indicators light up from outside but don't make a noise when used in the car..: my local garage cannot fix it as he said it's too complex (how great!) has anyone else had this problem? Is it a major job to have done?

#2 ·
It is a fuse issue. I had the same problem due to a poor connection in the fuse box but it could just be a fuse blown. Look in the interior fuse box and look for a fuse with a drawing of the speedo and three letters OBD next to it. It is fuse 29 on most R56's , may be a different fuse number on LCI cars.

#3 ·
Do you think? I'm sure the guy at my local garage checked that as he said he'd tried lots of simple things and none worked, but its worth a try! I took it to an auto electrician and he told me that its a problem with the speedo/clock and that its not receiving signals/messages from the rest of the car and thats what the issue is. He said that the battery and everything else thats electrical in the car works but can't contact the speedo/clock (i know my explanation is rubbish but these things don't make any sense to me at all!) He unplugged my battery and said it might be a computer glitch and to leave it unplugged overnight and reconnect it in the morning, after doing that the lights worked but then the day after they're not working again. So I'm thinking its going to end up being a speedo replacement :( Anyone got any ideas about prices and how long it will take? it won't be a full dash replacement will it? My poor car!!

#4 ·
Next time it is being diagnosed see if the OBD port is working. If both speedo and OBD port are down it is a power supply issue not a speedo issue.

#5 ·
Thank you for replying and I'm sorry that I sound so ignorant but I have no knowledge of anything like this so just know what the auto electrician told me. Will a mechanic not automatically check the OBD port anyway? and by power supply do you mean the battery or am i just being really dim? he checked that and said it was ok. I'm so confused since the lights worked shortly after we reconnected the battery and now they don't! :(

#6 ·
As main dealer tech, i would be questioning the FRM moudle in the car. (Which is the Footwell module) but as the fault is very unusual its hard to tell. The fact it worked after a battery reset, pushes it away from being a blowen fuse. Could be a poor connection in the back of the speedo but most of the centre console and lower dash would be removed to carry out the repair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.