MINI Cooper Forum banner

Overheating and leaking coolant

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Nathan Bennett 
#1 ·
Yet another problem with my 57 plate mini coper s. It's currently dumping it's coolant and causing the car to overheat. I have checked under the car and there seems to be a leaking pipe, however when i took it to the garage they said it was a head gasket problem.

I've done some research into this and there seems to be a common fault with cracked water pumps that cause the same issues that a head gasket would show.

has anyone else had any similar problems to this and how did you solve them?

Thanks so much!

#3 ·
Hi Sianny,

I have had problems with my 08 Mini Cooper ever since i have had it - which was 6 months ago. The water levels were up and down and leaking underneath so the thermostat housing was eventually replaced with a new one. Then the radiator was replaced...followed by the Water tank. Even to this day I am still getting loss of water and weird judder when the car is sat in idle at traffic lights etc. Still a mystery as to what the problem is but i did read that Mini 2007 - 2009's are the worst Mini's to buy!

In regards to the Head Gasket - i was told by local repair shop that Mini's don't suffer from Head Gasket failures. Hmmm....not sure i believe that though! Haha. Surely every car is prone to HG failure??

Anyway, looks like my Mini is going to have to go soon. Nothing worse than worrying about whether i will complete my journey every time i drive it. I need a reliable car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.