MINI Cooper Forum banner

Replaced Airbag Control Module - What tool should I use for Programming the VIN?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum with an 08 Mini (Non S). I've read plenty about the Airbag control module and came to the conclusion that I should replace mine. I went ahead and found the part and purchased and reinstalled. In reading I've learned that the VIN on the airbag control module has to match the car's VIN. What I haven't been able to find in detail is HOW or WHAT to use in order to reprogram this. There are plenty of suggestions for tools out there that will reset the airbag light. But from my understanding this acutally needs to be reprogrammed. I've looked at the C110 and C310 tools and am still not sure after reading their descriptions if this is something that they can accomplish. I'd rather not spend the money for something with more robust I/O features such as the BMW Bavarian Technic Scan Tool, but if that's what I need to do I'll do it.

Any input would on the problem OR the various mini scan tools and what features they include/ease of use would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ·
NCS for Dummies rings a bell but that is if the chip with the data is an eprom, if its not, your looking at desoldering the chip, swap it with the original as its already programmed. You may be able to purchase a cable from bcables.com but you need to check that any software with it covers an 08 model Mini.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.