MINI Cooper Forum banner

Problem with mass air flow sensor... Maybe??

22K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jamesb0204 
#1 ·
***08 mini cooper no turbo***

so my mini starts stalling at red lights. i get it home. next day start it up take it for quick ride around the block. still dying. unplug maf drive around the block again. not dying and its running much better.

so i assuming as most would (i think) that its the mass air flow sensor. I tried to clean the maf out with maf cleaner. put it back in after it dries. rough idle and then it dies. try a few more times.. same thing. rough idle and then it dies.

Time to get new maf i guess... I get used one from guy who wrote off his mini. he says it should work.

clear engine codes with ELM327 wifi odb2 scanner. it does seem to clear all codes (no more check engine light and all codes seem to be gone)

put newer maf in. turn on car.. rough idle and then it dies. tried a few times. every time is the same. (this is the same thing my old maf has been doing now)

tried to put old one back in. still the same thing. rough idle for a second or two then it dies.

so at first i assumed that the newer maf just doesn't work. but then i noticed that the check engine light hasn't come on at all...

is there another problem? shouldn't one of these maf's if they are bad triggered an engine code and the check engine light??

See less See more
#4 ·
i would start by getting a good obd sensor to see if the ecu has any codes.

all modern cars are made up of a zillion electric parts so diagnosing them without an obd is very very difficult lol

i use this one and it ends to work very well for my mini.

I have and have used my ELM327 wifi odb2 scanner to clear all codes and i have checked that none have come back

#6 ·
Just got a new bosh maf and plugged it in. It started and ran rough but it stayed running unlike the other times I have tried it.. But it still sounded like it wanted to die. So I took it for a quick drive and things seemed to be a bit better but by the time I got around the block as I clutched in it would die. Got it back to its parking space and just as I did the check engine light came on.

pulled the codes p0137 and p0301 and looked them up

p0137: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

p0301: P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire (assuming this only happened because of it running so ******)

So since its a brand new maf in there... I can't see that being the problem any more. but I can't see a bad 02 sensor by the CAT to be causing the car to die like this...

Anyone have any ideas??

#10 ·
did you ever get to the bottom of this? My girlfriends Mini is experiencing the exact same issues? Just been to Mini and it said that the pre-cat 02 sensor was broken, but also something to do with fuel lines, and most importantly the MAF Sensor. Im going to unplug the MAF tonight and see if that helps. Any information anyone has will be much appreciated.

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.