MINI Cooper Forum banner

New oil change, now grinding noise when in gear.

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just completed an oil and filter change yesterday on my 2010 Cooper Clubman. The car was overdue a service by about 5 months and when I drained the oil only around 2 litres drained out. once drained I filled up with 4.2 litres of Castrol 5w30. All seem to go well until driving home from work today and there was a grinding noise when the car is in gear, seems to be only when foot is off the accelerator and coasting in gear... There is also seems to be a tapping noise on the engine after 2-5 mins of starting while idling that wasn't there before..

I would like to know if anyone reckoned this could all be connected??

No grinding noise while idling.

Thanks in adavance

#2 · (Edited)
If there was only 2 litres of oil in the car when you done the oil change then that's certainly not good news and I can imagine lots of engine wear has occurred. The tapping at best could be the tensioner, at worst it could be the timing chain guides or the hydraulic tappets/lifters or if your really unlucky you may have damaged the crank bearings. These cars like fresh oil and the oil level checked regular....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
None of my cars burn or use oil but I dip the oil anyway and inspect the fluid levels and also inspect the engine bay for anything obvious once a week (every Saturday). This takes literally minutes to do and can save you hundreds, if not thousands of pounds in repairs and is what I call 'preventative maintenance ' and is the key to reliable motoring ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.