MINI Cooper Forum banner

Central Locking Gone Mad... My First Post

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone
I joined today as I need some help! My wife has a 2007 R56 Cooper and since we bought it we have had nothing but problems with it! Be glad to get rid if Im honest BUT yesterday she went out to the car, the remote fob wouldnt open the door, after a few seconds it opened, when she shuts the doors (either in or out of the car) the doors lock! It seems hit and miss as to whether the remote will work and we are worried she will get locked out of the car. If you are in the car, shut the door all doors lock, as soon as you put the hockey puck style key in the slot the doors unlock, I have no idea what Im looking at and need some advice.
About 3 weeks ago we had a new BMW battery fitted but it has been OK since then.

Any ideas?

PS the panoramic sunroof is knacker as well :-(

#5 ·
Well that rules that one out unless the main dealer didn't associate the new battery to the car? Have you tried the other fob, I assume you have 2 remote fobs? This will rule out a flat battery in the fob. The only other things would be the body control module or another fault in the system, either a dodgy receiver or a wiring fault like a bad earth?

#6 ·
They didnt fit the battery as the guy on the service desk said they only need to fit and "reprogram" if its an AGM or EGM battery or something like that.
I am not sure its the actual remote key as like I say the doors seem to lock themselves simply by closig the door! Weird. However both keys give similar unlocking reults :-(

#10 ·
I would be checking to see if your model Mini has the IBS, if it has, you will need to have the ECU reprogrammed to allow it to know it has a new battery and how to charge it correctly, failure to reprogram the IBS ide of things will result in reduced battery life and may even damage your battery.

[Q] PLEASE NOTE: Not all MINI R56 models come equipped with an AGM type battery.*Not all R56 models come equipped with the IBS system. To determine if your R56 has this system you will need to look at the terminal end of the negative battery cable. [UQ]

Read the article on this link to identify if your car has IBS.

MINI Cooper R56 Battery and Connection Notes Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Regardless of what the dealership said, some people can make mistakes and I for one have little faith in dealership mechanics from experience.

#11 ·
I have little faith in dealers too, more so BMW. My last warranty repair was abysmal and I had to repair the car myself in the end after they had it twice over 4 days. They couldn't even diagnose my fault which was blindingly obvious where and what the problem was. Then there was the paint job on my other Clubman.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.