USB stick (16GB) stopped working - now not recognised in car - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Interior & ICE > Second Generation Interior & Ice

Second Generation Interior & Ice
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Second Generation MINI interiors Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16gb Sandisk USB stick doesn't appear to work via USB Rocco9999 Second Generation Interior & Ice 5 Jan 30th, 2009 01:10 PM
headlights stopped working rockologist First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Feb 28th, 2008 06:11 PM
Bluetooth stopped working Coffeeman Second Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Oct 25th, 2007 04:31 PM
Remote stopped working Lister First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Jun 15th, 2007 11:22 PM
SAT NAV stopped working! rentagas First Generation Interior & Ice 12 Nov 14th, 2005 07:24 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:50 PM
United Kingdom
Red Cooper USB stick (16GB) stopped working - now not recognised in car

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Cooper D, with the single USB and separate aux input in-front of the gear-stick/bottom of centre console.

I picked my car up in July this year from the dealer, and my 16GB Transcend USB stick (loaded with MP3's) worked fine for about a week.

Then it suddenly stopped working and the car fails to read it. If I press the selection button of the I.C.E to 'usb' when I insert the stick, the car says 'insert usb' or something similar (as if it doesn't see it). The light within the USB stick flashes for a few seconds as it is read by the car..

The stick works in 3 pc's. I have tried various things like changing the songs, reducing the amount (to 1!) etc. but no joy.

When I put the same songs on any one of 4 other random USB devices (including a compact flash card in a USB card reader!) they work fine, so it is just this one stick that my car has a problem with.

I recently plugged my stick into a random used Cooper S at the dealership and it worked in there (different stereo system though), so its my car that has the issue.

Based upon the fact that it once worked and the stick itself is ok, I think my car has an issue with the stick - is there a way I can get my car to 'forget' this stick and act as if it was the first time they ever met?

Thanks in advance guys and girls,

DHD [first post!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
Does another stick work in the car (don't think you mentioned that?) if it doesn't then it points to the car, if it does then try copying the music off the 16GB stick, reformatting it, copying the stuff back on and trying again. Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkHorseDre (original)
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Cooper D, with the single USB and separate aux input in-front of the gear-stick/bottom of centre console.

I picked my car up in July this year from the dealer, and my 16GB Transcend USB stick (loaded with MP3's) worked fine for about a week.

Then it suddenly stopped working and the car fails to read it. If I press the selection button of the I.C.E to 'usb' when I insert the stick, the car says 'insert usb' or something similar (as if it doesn't see it). The light within the USB stick flashes for a few seconds as it is read by the car..

The stick works in 3 pc's. I have tried various things like changing the songs, reducing the amount (to 1!) etc. but no joy.

When I put the same songs on any one of 4 other random USB devices (including a compact flash card in a USB card reader!) they work fine, so it is just this one stick that my car has a problem with.

I recently plugged my stick into a random used Cooper S at the dealership and it worked in there (different stereo system though), so its my car that has the issue.

Based upon the fact that it once worked and the stick itself is ok, I think my car has an issue with the stick - is there a way I can get my car to 'forget' this stick and act as if it was the first time they ever met?

Thanks in advance guys and girls,

DHD [first post!]

Have you tried to re-format the stick, and then see if the car recognises it.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Sorry for the delayed response - I was expecting an email notification of replies! (I have just found that setting in the options..)

@Timp/Outpost, yes I said I tried 4 other sticks! The 16gb also works in other devices..

I have tried reformatting (using windows AND the HP/other tools out on the interweb) and all sorts of things (reducing number of songs to 1/a few, etc) but to no avail.

I have pretty much proven that it 'shouldn't' be the 16gb sticks problem as it works in other devices and even works in another car!

I think the cars do more than merely access the card and play the contents - I think they maintain a record of the sticks attached (maybe the serial num/or id) and I think my car has "remembered" my stick but maybe corrupted its entry.
What do I mean? Well windowz does the same thing - check out this tool on a windows machine (I cannot post URL's so google "USBDeview")

So I guess I'm seeking any knowledge or ideas of how I can 'reset' things on the car, or how I can rectify this? I don't really want to buy another USB stick when I have a perfectly working one that will be doing nothing!
(Plus solving a problem rather than working around it is usually best, and is good for all mini owners - Mini are telling me that they don't know and I'd have to pay for the diagnostics! of course I laughed as I know they could never stick me with the bill, but the problem is that I don't think they would find the solution anyway..)

*Thanks Timp
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View solidsponge's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkHorseDre (original)
Sorry for the delayed response - I was expecting an email notification of replies! (I have just found that setting in the options..)

@Timp/Outpost, yes I said I tried 4 other sticks! The 16gb also works in other devices..

I have tried reformatting (using windows AND the HP/other tools out on the interweb) and all sorts of things (reducing number of songs to 1/a few, etc) but to no avail.

I have pretty much proven that it 'shouldn't' be the 16gb sticks problem as it works in other devices and even works in another car!

I think the cars do more than merely access the card and play the contents - I think they maintain a record of the sticks attached (maybe the serial num/or id) and I think my car has "remembered" my stick but maybe corrupted its entry.
What do I mean? Well windowz does the same thing - check out this tool on a windows machine (I cannot post URL's so google "USBDeview")

So I guess I'm seeking any knowledge or ideas of how I can 'reset' things on the car, or how I can rectify this? I don't really want to buy another USB stick when I have a perfectly working one that will be doing nothing!
(Plus solving a problem rather than working around it is usually best, and is good for all mini owners - Mini are telling me that they don't know and I'd have to pay for the diagnostics! of course I laughed as I know they could never stick me with the bill, but the problem is that I don't think they would find the solution anyway..)

*Thanks Timp

They will find the solution, it's probably something gone wrong in the headunit itself rather than the usb socket. PCs log usb sticks recently put in windows 7, but its just a log afaik. 60 for diagnostics I heard?
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi SolidSponge,

Well I popped it in to them briefly (oo-er!) and they couldnt see anything wrong - although that visit was after my threatening to make a fuss when they told me I had to pay for diagnostics (my mate whom is a mechanic had already told me they'd say that). I'm doubting they will be able to fix it bar replacing the head-unit.

Because it's a design fault (what else could it be?) I dont agree with 'just paying it' - it should work out of the box!
I had an Alpine USB head unit and it worked fine for 2-3 years.. 1 week in a new Mini and its messed up? Nah, I'm not the fool to pay for them to fix it!!!!
Besides, our consumer rights in this country (and the EU) state that I should not be liable to pay for defective merchandise or the repairs!

By using this forum I'm trying to either find the solution, or information that will point them in the direction needed so they can actually fix this (It's the kind of thing an engineer whom designed or worked on the ICE could identify in a minute, but the guys in the service departments aren't (understandably) that familiar with the inner workings of these new features.

*the point about the Windows list of devices is to show that windows stores a reference to the USB id of each device. My earlier theory is that Mini extended this concept to the extent that my key is now not seen by the car but others are, and that my key works in other mini's (as if the reference to my key is corrupted and the key cannot initialise with the car as a result)..
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:58 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
Whilst sympathising and agreeing that they should fix it, I'd get to the point where lifes too short to worry about keeping going back to the dealers (unless you pass them anyway and you get a free car / petrol whilst they diagnose for free) over what is in fact a 12.50 memory stick. If it does it on a second one then maybe....
Seriously, lifes too short!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by timp (original)
Whilst sympathising and agreeing that they should fix it, I'd get to the point where lifes too short to worry about keeping going back to the dealers (unless you pass them anyway and you get a free car / petrol whilst they diagnose for free) over what is in fact a 12.50 memory stick. If it does it on a second one then maybe....
Seriously, lifes too short!

I clearly haven't said I've gotten to the point where I've booked the car in for the day! I have also said that this post is a pre-emptive bit of research I'm doing BEFORE I would consider investing any real time (I also said that I don't think they could fix it, thus its clear I wouldn't book my car in anyway). infact, suggestions here are that I spend time (book it in) and money (book it in or buy a new memory stick) anyway!
Also, I would not buy another 16GB stick (~16 for a decent one, plus delivery), I'd go for a 32GB (~32 for a decent one), so it would be a significant cost to replace something that works fine.

I've got to say this is the first forum I've visited where the advice is to just "buy a new one" when faced with a problem where the solution is not yet known!

I appreciate your effort to respond guys, it's just that in my experience (and career) things like this are quite easy to solve and will one-day be solved.. I just prefer to be proactive and for the solution to be sooner than later!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Big Ry

Local Time: 07:50 PM
United Kingdom Male
Must admit, it does seem a bit pointless replacing something that you know works. Who's to say the issue won't happen again.

I'd get down the dealer and try plugging it into a car that does have the same setup. If it doesn't work, then maybe get them to try it in a BMW too.

Sounds like a fault with the head unit to me. If you can prove that the stick works in one of the dealers cars, then the problem is the dealers and not yours, as it's still under warranty.

No doubt they'll get all sloppy shoulders with it but persist.....they've potentially had your money for something that doesn't work properly..........
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
if the flash drive works in other devices can't see it being that,might be worth the dealer reflashing the software in the entertainment system..

does the aux in work,wonder if they are on the same plug it's come loose in the entertainment unit..just a thought.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 05:56 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by bigry (original)
Who's to say the issue won't happen again.

This.

I agree with the rest of your post Bigry, but I wanted to see if anybody else has seen this issue first. It will take a while for all of these issues to come out as the entertainment system is relatively new (compared to the total number of Mini's made by BMW to date) - a bit like the ipod issues in the early days..

Sooper S Jon - This is part of the problem - I have suggested that and the head tech (who seems pretty good actually) said there wasn't any firmware etc. that can be flashed! Now I know its unlikely to be the case, but either way that's his position (are you sure f/w can be flashed? I remember reading on their site that they can release f/w for the ICE but none was currently available (therefore the original f/w should be able to be re-flashed)).
I wanted to exhaust all other (and easier) avenues before considering challenging him. One thing I do agree with is that "life's too short" - I'm only going to ram this down their throats if I'm forced to - I'd rather get a solution via here or myself then send head office an nice letter with instructions of how to fix and my deep disappointment in their techs

The funny thing is the Ipod touch 3rd gen I have connects and shows song names but no sound (the mini pages say I should disconnect and reconnect to fix this but it didn't help) and I cant remember about aux.. i'm thinking it didn't work (I'll retest with my blackberry later).. I told them about these issues but they just seem to shrug..

a big thanks to everyone who has posted - I do appreciate every post!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
16GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade 12.49 @ Amazon - try that, use the 'duff' one for PC (or Mac) related memoryness.
There must be software updates the techs can do (there is often one as part of the Nav update - on cars with the Nav) but if your tech guy doesn't have the know-how then you're either stuck with travelling to another dealer (cost) or getting an area techy involved. I assume BMW have troubleshooters that cover larger areas. Don't lose sight of the fact thats it's a cheap item and the worry and grief isn't worth it. You may end up with the snotty letter to Cust Services which will end up in a bin somewhere but you'll feel better. maybe better to save the goodwill factor for something more worthwhile than a lousy memory stick. Take a look on NAM, there are some helpful guys there with good knowledge.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:41 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View solidsponge's Classified Ads
Sorry I didn't realise the other USB sticks work and misread your post!

Transcend are a budget brand of electronics, so I wouldn't put too much into that. but if you have tried in other MINIs, maybe it is a software issue. Problem is its not worth paying to fix because its such a minor issue. At the same time you can't realistically expect the dealer to check it for free unless its under warranty? But Im sure you know this anyway.

What you can do on your pc is try the following (win 7):

1. pop your usb in pc, right click > properties > tools > under error checking > check now > tick box boxes

2. right click > properties > tools > under defragmentation > defragment now > select your usb > click defragment now

3. right click > format > make sure its on fat32 > untick quick format > format

That's about all your can do on windows. Maybe rename it too in the volume label?

Also you can reset your radio if you remove the battery, or at least you can on mine as it'll lose the settings. If you have any sort of code you may need to enter it again.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
@Timp - I think you miss my point mate - the cost is irrelevant as its a matter of principle (and law as it happens) - But ok, the 4 (plus delivery) saving is still the same ballpark anyway (and of course I have said that I'd have to trade up to a 32gb, as we only need more storage over the years..)
and seriously, I tried 4 other memory sticks as I have 4 other sticks! I really don't need anymore!
*note that I also said (mostly in jest) that the letter would be sent after the problem was solved..
- thanks for the NAM suggestion, I'll give that a google.

@Solidsponge - to be honest the brand or quality of the Transcend is logically irrelevant as it still works in every other device I put it in including another Mini - as far as testing is concerned, it proves the stick is ok, as I have said. Also, the other sticks work in my car, proving that the car doesn't have an issue with USB in general, its just my stick.

Yes the cars under warranty! It's less than a year old! This is the point! I almost bought a VW or SEAT (owned both before), and if I had this issue with them it would get sorted!

Sorry dude but there is no need to defrag solid state memory as it does not have the physical seek issues that HDD's have (they do not have any moving parts at all, thus take the same time to retrieve data no matter which memory location it is located in)
as for the format, I have done all of that: Fat32, NTFS, quick, full, relabe/no label etc.
The point is that the stick was working, then it wasn't so changing it from how it was when it was working (and it still is functioning in other devices) won't do anything, but thanks anyway.

USB hosts don't recognise a device by its label, but by its permanent ID.

I may have to resort the battery removal trick at the very end!

Cheers all

ps - to b explicit and repeat a sentiment that may have been missed before:

I do not consider this an urgent issue (just a pain in the ***** not to be able to play my toons), but the stereo is clearly not working and thus I am seeking info to get it fixed. If I did think this was urgent/critical I would not be on a forum, I'd have my car in their shop as we speak and I know they would have to honour my warranty claim whether they liked it or not.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
ateotd,your mini is still under warranty & the fault should be fixed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,