LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scotland

Scotland Newbie iPod radio boost question

Hi guys, sorry if this question has been asked before but I've read loads of posts but still not 100% sure hence the post.

Just put deposit down on a 2008 cooper d which I collect next week. It has radio boost which I want to connect my iPhone 4s to. I have read about the y cable and the arm rest cradle and am thinking of opting for the cable as they are available for around 10.

Is this all I need or am I missing anything? From what I have read this gives full iPhone control using the car controls, is that correct.

Any other advice or options welcome

Thanks
Russell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:00 PM

I just use the normal USB/iPhone cable, works fine, audio, buttons, the lot.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland

Thanks Phooto,

that was my first thought to be honest but the more i read up on it the more i read of other more expensive options so assumed that it wouldnt work but I'l give that a go first and see how i get on.

cheers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland

ok, I got the car on Saturday and am really happy with it.

BUT..... it doesnt have USB or bluetooth so I'm not sure how I can connect my iPhone now. there is an aux input in the dash, does that work or do you need the usb input?

I see the cable for sale have the iPod/iPhone connection at one end and both aux and usb at the other end. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure if you need to plug in both the aux and usb or if either would work. or is there another way that anyone knows of???

thanks,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

I have a 59 plater dooper. My USB and aux is under the window, fog light controls etc at the bottom of the central pillar
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland

thanks colleen, unfortunately I only have the 'aux in' where you have the usb/aux in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:00 PM

United Kingdom

Ressull I'll tell you what I know - I suspect otherwise you will be waiting a considerable amount of time for a response (see my thread in this section...)

If you have no USB socket, your best bet is an aftermarket solution. The OEM cable / iPod interfaces have limitations (max. 250 folders I think - it sees the iPod as a "CD changer" like most interfaces of this type).

Not sure if you have multi-function steering wheel, but most of the aftermarket options allow you to use it with the iPod.

Mike @ newministuff.com is the guy to talk to, there are a range of options with widely varying prices, BUT for me (someone who is asking the same question and had to spend hours looking for answers someone on here could of helped with in a few mins) - the best one is the Dension Gateway 500.

The Dension requires you to get your vehicle recoded either by Mini or someone with appropriate hardware though (not sure on cost, currently waiting on cost from Mike).

Alternatively there is the Parrot 9200 - instead of displaying iPod interface on your Boost speedo however, it uses a dedicated colour screen which is provided (which I don't like). It DOESN'T require you get your vehicle recoded.

Both these options have Bluetooth AND iPod compatibility and work with steering wheel controls (only the Dension displays iPod info on speedo display - not sure about phone info).

Good luck (get in touch with Mike - theres a pic of the Parrot kits on newministuff.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.