MINI Cooper Forum banner

What is the best fuse to use for a radar and dashcam add-a-fuse install?

10K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Blackhawks 
#1 ·
I want to hardwire my Bel STi Magnum radar detector and DVR-207 dashcam so they turn on and off as per when my 2010 Clubman S is running. This will free up my cigarette lighter. The STi Magnum runs 12V at 1.0-1.5A and the DVR-207 runs 5V at 0.75A.

I bought 2 add-a-fuse direct cords with fuse from Safe-n-Sound Beltronics Products - "Be Safe with Safe-N-Sound1.com". 1 with mini fuse and 1 with the regular fuse, just in case. I still need to buy a 5V cord for my dashcam.

I wasted an hour today trying to remove fuse #44 (20A cigarette lighter) and finding a ground within 6-8 inches from the fuse box. I finally got the fuse removed after borrowing the fuse tweezers found in my Ford but did not locate a ground. I went to the internet and found that a ground exists nearby but I will have to remove the kicker panel. No big deal. Ground in interior fuse box? - North American Motoring

While on 2 other sites I found:

A) Someone stating fuse #44 was not ideal. That it is switched but it is still live all the time. Something about the switch occurs after the fuse. I really don't understand why this would be the case but accepted it as factual.

B) Another forum was arguing that the add-a-fuse should only be used for fuses 10A or higher, while others were arguing 10A or less.

My add-a-fuse uses 20 gauge speaker cable BRX-20. According to one chart it has 0.032 inch conductor diameter, max amp for chassis is 11A, and max amp for transmission 1.5A.

Questions:

1) What is the best fuse to use for the STi Magnum?
2) What is the best fuse to use for DVR-207?
3) Does it matter which fuse terminal I connect the add-a-fuse to? According to one site in section 3.2.2, yes http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/R56_Sport_DSC_Controller.pdf. This may explain comment A) from above.
4) Could I connect 2 add-a-fuses to the same fuse ... one connected to the left terminal and one to the right?

Any information would be much appreciated.

B.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.