MINI Cooper Forum banner

Problems with remote amp lead in trunk

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SteveM3 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am connecting an aftermarket amp in the trunk of my R56 Coupe and I have drawn the 12v from the battery and the ground to a bolt in the trunk, but I can't get the remote lead to work. I am trying to patch in to the cigarette lighter leads that are already in the trunk without cutting any wires. I just loosened the plug that is on the lighter housing and attached two spade connectors to my remote lead wires and put them into the connector like the photo shows. But whichever way I plug the cables in, the fuse in the car blows. I plug the + to the Remote in connector on the amp and the - to the ground connector on the amp.

What do I need to do to make this work? Is it just not possible to get the remote from here? When I measure the power it shows around 14.4v. Or do I need to connect before the plug, and if so, which cable is the ground and which is the +?

I have searched through this forum as well as NAM and I can't find any info on this specific matter... Please help me out as this is the last step to my complete upgrade to the sound system in my car.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No idea, had it connected without earth first try but couldnt get it to work so I guess I've just been trying whatever to get it to work. I have no idea what the problem is here, if it's the connection or if the amp is dead or whatever. All i get is a red LED that sais "protection" to light up, but not the green power LED...

#4 ·
First use a test lamp connected to the plug of the rear socket and check it comes on when the ignition is on. If it does connect the red/black/yellow cable with a scotchlok or similar to the remote turn on terminal on the amp. The main power terminal on the amp to the battery via a suitable fuse close to the battery. The earth terminal of the amp goes to any of the earthing connectors, they are all over the place it doesn't take long to find one. Then if you have problems it's with the amp and/or the speaker wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.