MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

United-Kingdom Retrofit Auto Dimming Rear View Mirrow

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to retro fit an auto dimming rear view mirror. My car was already spec'd without this and would dearly love it (2014 roadster).

I did this once on a Beetle - took all of 5 minutes - took the older mirror off - opened box of new auto dimming mirror - connected cable harness already on the car and voila - all working and so simple.

Would love to think I could do the same on my lovely new mini. Also, if this is do-able, where can i get a new mirror from?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I have a Roadster with an autodim mirror and I don't think it has ever operated. I suspect the small rear window makes it not work as it does on a hatchback. I've seen its uselessness mentioned more than once on US forums. I compound the problem by never removing the draught-blocker.

Minis have a wiring harness that is made individually for each car, so there is a significant risk that there isn't any wiring for an autodim mirror if the car wasn't originally specc'ed with one.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Talking Excellent Advice

Thanks for this excellent piece of advice! I've yet to drive the car at night so had no idea that this could be the case. But noting the view through the small rear window, and the fact that I've left the wind-blocker in place, it looks like there is no need, especially as you say that you don't think its ever worked anyway due to this.

I shall save my money and any issues that pulling apart a new car might have caused.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Yes, I think the sensible thing, if you want to put the roof down whenever you like, is just to learn to live with the draught-blocker permanently in place. This gives a fairly poor/dim view out of the rear window but, apart from occasionally finding it difficult to decide if that is an 'unmarked car' behind me, it is no problem.

One great thing about the Roadster is how fast the roof works, so that just slowing for a traffic light, even if you don't have to stop, is enough time under 20mph to put the roof up or down. So being ready to put the roof down at the first glimpse of just dry weather, never mind sunshine, gives the most benefit from the car.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2014, 12:53 PM
MINI2 Regular

Cyprus Male

You can do the install yourself. A retrofit kit is available which includes the wiring harness but not the mirror itself. If I remember correctly, you need to have the high-version of the SPEG module (fuse-box), but I am not very sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply