MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Australia

mini connected problem

Hi everyone, just joined the forums having a good read which has been good
I bought a 2013 Mini Cooper Baker Street last year & have been loving it so far. Just wanted to know if anyone can help me with this problem.
I have the Y cable that the dealership has given me to connect my iPod/iPhone but it's not exactly working well. I can hear music when I play but it is very distorted (like its not plugged in properly) & I try twist the connection around & distorts music from left to right speaker.
Thinking this is the cable I went back to Melbourne dealers & they provided me another cable, same thing seems to happen.
Tried old version of iPod, iPhone 4 & iPhone 5 & still the same.
I then tried my Galaxy S4 just using existing phone USB cable which worked fine the first time I plugged it in. Thought to myself cool works well, go to put more songs on my phone, then reconnected the galaxy now it says not working!!! Wtf???
Then resorted to a USB flash drive, again worked first time, update it with new songs now it won't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong??
Obviously very frustrating being a brand new car, I do have warranty still but dealership seems to think its working fine.
Can someone please shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Hayden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:36 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male

I've had a lot of problems with the connection to the 1/8th inch audio jack. Sometimes the connector will get jostled and the audio will sound awful for a second. If I play with the connection I can get it to stay, but it is definitely an annoyance.

It should not sound distorted all the time though, there's definitely something wrong. I don't know whether the problem is the design of the cable or the design of the plug, but MINI screwed up somewhere in there, because I've never had a 1/8th inch connector perform so poorly. Really, they should just take the audio digitally from the USB connection, but they went the cheaper route of using analog audio in.

If you have any regular 1/8th inch audio cables around, you could always try to connect your phone or Apple device that way, and see if it works any better, but I'm not even sure if that would work right with the USB connection that allows the car to control the device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply