post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2014, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Amp and Sub Woofer: Seeking Help & Advice

Hello to everyone,

I recently was generously given 2 amps and a subwoofer for free. I went to my local electronics store and talked to one of the store clerks in the car audio department for how to hook them up to my system.

He told me that all cars since 1999 have the required red and white cables at the back of the car radio. So I bought the entire kit of necessary wires from the store.

I got back home, dismantled the dash board, and removed the radio only to find that the MINI Boost radio DOES NOT have any of the required output wires. HOWEVER there are 2 open slots behind the radio where I assume adapters for such purposes would go. After hours of research, I came across this one product:

Integral Audio MINI Cooper Amplfier/Speaker Wiring Harness R55 R56 R57 R58 R59 : Vehicle Amplifier Wiring Harnesses (won't let me post a URL, sorry!)(please do a google search with the information)

Now my questions are: Is this the right adapter I am looking for? Do I have any other options WITHOUT splicing? are there any cheaper products that can achieve the same result? (99$ seems extremely steep). Am I even on the right track??

Car Specs:

2008 Clubman S

Mini Boost radio (appears to be an alpine).

Thank you for reading, anything will be helpful!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2014, 11:12 PM
MINI2 Master
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

England Male View SteveM3's Spice Orange & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
As there is no sub output from the head unit I think buying extra connectors won't help much. I also would not use the radio wiring to power an amplifier. You will need to take feeds from the speaker cables, only use the fronts as the rears until 2010 LCI models had the lower frequencys blocked at the radio. Front right +ve is black/red, -ve black/violet. Front left +ve is yellow/brown, -ve is yellow/black. If your amp doesn't have high level input make sure you buy a line level adaptor with signal sensing to provide the remote turn on. Remove the trim where you want to place the amp there are a generous number of earth points provided around the car. Experts recommend you take the live direct from the battery with a fuse close to the battery to protect the car. To make thinks easier I took a feed from a spare fuse slot in the main inside fuse box. I have this feed thru a relay switched by the feed to the accessory plug (cigar lighter in old terminology).

Some people are like a Slinky ........ not really good for anything, but you still can't help
but smile when you shove them down the stairs
Sponsored Links
Tags: , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.