MINI Cooper Forum banner

Missing Functions

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SteveB00 
#1 ·
I originally posted this in the Australia forum but haven't had a reply. I hope it's okay to post again here.

I recently purchased a manual 2011 MCS Cabrio. I love the car, but I'm confused about a couple of things. In the owners manual it says that I can enter the SET/INFO and adjust settings like whether the indicators flash once or three times when just 'flicked', reset the TPMS, and change other settings that are stored for each key.

My car has none of this: in the SET/INFO menu all I can do is adjust the auto wipers sensitivity, check for any messages and return HOME (exit the edit menu). Nothing more.

Are the other features detailed in the owners manual options that aren't fitted to my car (the ability to adjust the indicators? really?) or do the functions need to be enabled somewhere? What am I missing?

Also, I have heated full-leather seats. I understand that there are two levels of leather – gravity and lounge – but I haven't been able to discover what's the difference between them and which one I have. How do I tell?

Thanks in advance,
Steve = : ^ )

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I have no trouble getting into the SET/INFO menu; it's that the functions shown in the manual aren't available when I'm in there. The manual shows that you can cycle through: adjusting the rain sensor (windscreen wiper icon); calling up check control (car icon); displaying vehicle check ('SERVICE' and car icon); initialising the run flat indicator (tyre icon); settings formats and units (key on a scale icon); adjusting settings (key with a tick icon) – it's in this one that you set how the car behaves when locked and where you set the 'triple turn signal'; setting the clock (clock icon); setting the date (calendar icon); existing a menu ('HOME').

When I enter the SET/INFO menu the first thing I see is 'adjusting the rain sensor' (windscreen wiper icon) as above, and when I press the indicator stalk, the next thing that becomes available is 'calling up check control' (car icon), also as above. So far so good. But the next press on the stalk brings up HOME, which exits the settings menu. I have no access to the other settings listed above.

I can set the time and date and their formats from the CONFIG menu on the dashboard, but I don't see a way to set the locking behaviours, the 'triple turn signal', or initialise the TPMS. (Do all MINIs have TPMS, or this an option?)

Thanks again,

#5 ·
A dumb question, but did you try to do this stationary, with the engine running, not just ignition on - this seems to be required for some menu functions!

Gravity leather is smooth all over (ignore colours):

Whereas lounge has ribbed (tuck and roll) panels on seat and backrest:

A 2011 non-US car has TPMS based on the ABS sensors, not actual pressure measurements. Again, the engine may need to be running to access the menu item.

Attachments

#10 ·
A dumb question, but did you try to do this stationary, with the engine running, not just ignition on - this seems to be required for some menu functions!
Bingo. I don't understand the logic behind being able to adjust the automatic wipers with just the ignition on, but having to start the engine to adjust the indicators, but that's the way it is. With the engine running, I'm able to access all the functions listed in owners manual.

Big thanks to everyone who replied.

#7 ·
Thanks for the leather pictures. I have lounge.

The car was certainly stationary with the doors closed and the ignition on, which I think is all the manual says is required. I don't remember if I tried it with the engine running and it's bedtime here in Oz, so I'll try it tomorrow.

The manual explains that the TPM is done by measuring wheel revolutions – a wheel with a flat tyre will have a smaller diameter and revolve faster. Is tyre pressure monitoring an option, or do all Mini's have it?

Holding the button in accesses the functions within a given menu item. For example, once I get to the 'adjusting the rain sensor' menu item, holding the button in accesses that function and allows me to set the sensitivity, but to get from one function to the next, e.g. from 'adjusting the rain sensor' to 'calling up check control', requires just a push of the button.

Thanks for the replies,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.