MINI Cooper Forum banner

Help with Nav drive

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Joa 
#1 ·
Hi, new to Mini and new the forum ::smile::

Just bought myself a second hand 2007 Cooper S with a non working sat nav. Everything else appears to work apart from the nav which keeps saying 'please insert dvd'. The load and eject works fine and it has a genuine 2010 update disc but the drive doesn't appear to be spinning up. I think I can hear the laser moving but the disc is doing nothing.

I've searched this and other forums trying to find a bit more info but all I can find is that drive sometimes packs up with no real info on why. Has anyone ever had one of these apart to investigate or had a similar issue? There is a second hand drive on eBay for £450 Which is just ridiculous for a double din drive so I'm thinking of pulling mine a part to investigate.

#2 ·
Ok so I may have got it wrong, the disc is spinning up after all, it's just very quiet. What I have found out is that the dvd laser can pack up due to the anti vibration gel going hard.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement laser head from? Would rather have all the bits before I start pulling it apart.

Cheers

#4 ·
I have two discs.

Road map Europe professional 2007-2

Road map Europe professional update 2010

The 2010 disc was in the car when I bought it and the 2007 disc is scratched to buggery. I've cleaned it up as best I can but still no joy. What I have found out is that the DVD ccc drive from a BMW X5 should fit, well, they have the same part number so I'm assuming I can get it to fit. You can pick them up reasonably cheap on eBay so I may give it a shot.

#11 ·
Sorted! It was the drive. Took 1.5 hrs to remove and fit the new one. Never had to remove a stereo that was such a pain in the a*** before! New 2015 disc works great, now just have to figure out how to use the menu system and shut up the audio directions. Very happy, job jobbed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.