LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DIY R56 6ND Bluetooth & USB Retrofit

Hi All

Im a little new to using this forum but have extensively scoured this and others regarding my issue.

Ive read lots of forum posts but as far as I can see, Ive yet to see anyone that has had the same issue as me. I have a Feb 07 R56 Mini Cooper which came with just the aux jack and no bluetooth. As I want to use my phone and music from my iPhone, I purchased the 6ND Bluetooth and USB retrofit kit (Which contains all of the cables) from a BMW dealer along with the ULF box off of eBay.

As I've worked with cars before I installed the kit without too much issues. After this I knew it needed coding, so using NCS Expert I added the 6ND to the VO (in both the CAS and the FRM) and reset the 2RAD (Radio Module). After coding I found that the Bluetooth showed up and I was able to connect to it from my phone. However the USB port is causing me issues as when I click the "Audio" button on the radio I expected an option for USB to show up which it doesn't. Along with this the AUX port is still working when it is connected to then radio where it was originally connected and doesn't work when its connected to the ULF box.

From this Im assuming that the ULF box is connected correctly and is a programming issue, as the Bluetooth is working correctly. In NCS I can see the 2MULF module show up but I can't seem to program, read or reset this in anyway. I know this isn't on the CAN bus and is instead on the MOST bus, however I've tried to use "Tool32" to enable the "MOST-Gateway" feature in the Radio which is connected to both bus' to no success. As well as this I have also changed the VO code to $644 and $6FL which also gives the same result.

Has any one else had this issue on a Mini or a BMW? And if so how did you fix it? Failing that has any one got any ideas on how this issue could be fixed? As at the moment I'm thinking this is going to need to go into a dealer to fix which have quoted £280 which is over what I payed for all of the bits combined

Many Thanks In advanced

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So after a lot of research on the internet and a bit of guess work I have manage to fix this problem. One of the big red flags I bypassed when doing the initial retrofit is that the manual said it doesn't work on pre-03/2007 Mini's (mines a 02/2007). I believe this is to do with either some type of software or hardware change they did in the head unit.

From this I tried to upgrade the firmware version that was my radio unit (RAD2) but after a lot of googling and research, I was un-able to complete this. So I then moved on to approach 2, Looking on eBay I found a radio that was built a couple of years later than mine (The part number of the one I used was: 3455539). After install, and programming It worked like a charm. Also another tip here is that there was no code/programming to the vin necessary on these units so you don't have to worry about not getting a radio code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.