MINI Cooper Forum banner

Speakers on driver's side not working

15K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've just picked up a 2007 R56 Mini One (UK/Right hand drive).

All of the speakers on the driver's side, including the rears, don't work.

What I've tried so far:

1. Pulled off the door card and inspected the main/lower woofer on the driver's side. The terminals were corroded and the speaker looked quite ropey.

2. I cleaned the rust off the terminals and tested with a multimeter. It shows 4 Ohms so I don't think the speaker is blown.

3. Tested all fuses in driver side footwell.

4. Strangely, I did notice that with the volume on full and engine not running, there was the faintest of sound coming through the front-mid speaker on driver's side.

I'm thinking that either the amp channel has blown or the speaker cable is faulty.

Looking through Youtube videos, it looks like the head unit is pretty difficult to get to and would need to take apart the whole dash.

Are there any other options that I could try to test? I've only just bought the multimeter so not really familiar with it - maybe this would be useful for something?

Alternatively, are there any cheap/easy workarounds to get sound through? Maybe patch in a new cable if it's broke? Cheap amp and speakers?

Not sure how much it would cost to get an aftermarket unit fitted but don't want to spend too much on an older car.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
electrics is out of my remit mate. I stick with mechanicals and use an auto spark for when I get stuck. The stock radio is utter rank and I'm planning on ripping mine out and fitting an aftermarket unit but because its a Generation 2 its gonna be costly and like you say half the dash needs to come out. My guess is the head unit is probably faulty. It may sound daft but try playing with the balance and fade on the settings as my rear drivers side speaker wasn't working so after a fiddle with these settings it started working again!

#7 ·
My head unit upgrade is well down on the priority list for this car as I have the timing belt/ water pump to replace as well an have the diesel injectors refurbished then I have to give the R50 some love with a suspension rebuild. Its never ending buddy :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.