post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
getting one soon :)

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wales

Ghost Shadow Lamp Fitting with no existing lights

Hi all,

I had a gift for Christmas which was a pair of Ghost Shadow Lamp (laser logo lights) for the doors on my 2012 Mini Cooper SD (based in the UK).

Like these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...0-b1a69ebe9181

The thing is my SD does not have existing door lights and i wondered if i could fit these or if it was too much work? work the wiring loom be there in the door maybe?

Any help much appreciated as it was a gift from the in-laws so i want to at least try and fit them .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Did they buy you anything else?
Do these caste the 'Mini' logo onto the ground? I'd like to put LEDs in my puddle lights......but without the (stupid) logo. Can't find any. Only want to do it as they are brighter. Suppose I could just change the bulbs but I'm not sure what bulbs they take.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 08:25 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

England Male

Garage
A little harsh NigelK on someone's present!! I have replaced a few of my internal lights with these blue LEDs (White ones are available). The first link shows bulbs which are slightly narrower and just slot through. The second link is for slightly brighter with a bit more all around light

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Side-L...+led+w5w+bulbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safego-Brig...+led+w5w+bulbs

Minideef, there's a chance there is the wiring inside the door, unless some one can tell you this, you may have to take the door card off and have a look. Do you have the right hole in the bottom of the door to take the light? If not you will have to cut a rectangle in the bottom of the door skin.

I'm of the opposite school to NigelK I think they would look ok.

MiniAlf

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Wales

To be honest it was better than the Socks and shower gel they normally get me . I think the projected image is just a disc you can take out and just have the light if you want!

I have had a look on the door card and there is no indent or anything, so i would have to cut the rectangle my self, no i big issue, so will have a look to see if the loom is there first before i get the Dremel out.

Do Most Mini's have these door lights? are they country specific or do they come part of an option pack?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I don't wanna burst your bubble but I very much doubt the wiring will be in place if the hole in the door isn't in place but I am prepared to be corrected if wrong. It seems strange that a 2012 car doesn't have puddle lights?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Wales

Thanks Sean, yes i agree, if there is no light there i doubt the wiring would be there! But i'll take a look, you never know.

And yes, no idea why i don't have them, it is and SD, so should have a few creature comforts!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 10:38 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

I would have thought that the puddle lights were standard from the second generation on wards. I'm pretty sure that most facelift generation 1 cars have them and my 2 Clubmans have them. Seems strange that yours doesn't have them. The lights are fitted to the door cards and not the actual door skin so if you are fitting them then at best you could buy replacement cards on ebay to save you cutting plus everything would be in the right location but you would need to take a feed from your footwell lights and use thin wire and feed it within the trunking connecting the door to the A pillar. Just a thought?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

England Male

Garage
My 2008 Gen1 has puddle lights and once I get my hands back on my mini (collecting it tomorrow after another trip on the train) they will become blue, not the yellowy white they are now!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 07:20 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male View SteveM3's Spice Orange & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

My 2010 Cooper S didn't have puddle lights but did have the wiring in place so you should be lucky.
SeanC likes this.

Some people are like a Slinky ........ not really good for anything, but you still can't help
but smile when you shove them down the stairs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 08:33 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM3 View Post
My 2010 Cooper S didn't have puddle lights but did have the wiring in place so you should be lucky.
Here's hoping yours has wiring then @minideef , pair of door second hand cards if the holes are missing and then your sorted!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 01:35 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Sorry Minideef was as bit harsh. Yup better than socks. Mind you I get really cold feet in this weather (older fart) and my kids got me thermal socks. Fantastic, work really well.
I like the puddle lights. Mine's got 'em but they are very dim. I'd just like plain LED ones that are brighter.
I upgraded the internal lights with a kit that does the lot. Footwells, roof, boot. Probably a bit expensive and would have been cheaper to buy them bulb by bulb.
BMW Mini One / Cooper / S LED Interior Light upgrade Kit - 4 pcs
SeanC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.