MINI Cooper Forum banner

R57...when???

35K views 211 replies 50 participants last post by  dalboyne 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when the UK will get the R57?

#61 ·
This might mean that it is formally launched at a motor show this autumn, but deliveries only coming through next spring......?

If so, could it be the Paris Motor Show? 2 years ago, this was the launch pad for the R56, I think?

If so, that will mean a long period with no convertible MINI available - if indeed the R53 ceases production this month or next.....

Ian

#62 ·
I reckon that the info on a March 2009 first deliveries date is right on the money, with the car being "launched" at this autumn's show(s). There are enough R53 cabrios in the supply chain to keep people happy for a few months, and nobody wants to buy a cabrio in winter anyway. The new cars will be available in time for next summer though.

#63 ·
There are enough R53 cabrios in the supply chain to keep people happy for a few months, and nobody wants to buy a cabrio in winter anyway.
Although I agree that rumor points to March 2009 for the R57, your winter theory is flawed i'm afraiad. It'll be heading into Summer in the Southern hemisphere - Australia, South Africa etc, and of course there is the market in the equatorial regions where it's hot 365 days a year :)

#71 ·
Is that right? So the new version is in 2010 of the cooper, D and S? if so there is no point worrying about it.i was going to see if it was worth waiting till early 2009.

So the Cab will come out March 2009 with the rest the following year?

Anyone second this that truly knows…

#72 ·
Now I'm worried! I hope BMW MINI doesn't pull a daft trick like rolling out the Cabrio next March based on the current R56, and then facelift across the whole range only 18 months later! :eek:

(If there's any suggestion this might be the case, then I'll not buy in 2009....)

Ian

#83 ·
Nice picture - thanks!

I would hope a facelift might be rather more than a new lower grill and a new set of wheels! :eek: Maybe the real improvements are in the cockpit......and the roof mechanism

And is it just me, or does that seem to be a very large gap around the front wheels - almost looks like they are too small for the arches?

Ian

#93 ·
I guess they need to do pre-production models to shake out any manufacturing bugs, ensure their QA proceses are adapted, re-train all the robots and humans, and have a stock for the press to hammer prior to the official launch?

But if so, then launching in Detroit would seem a long, long way away!

Ian

P.S. You didn't see one with my name on the paperwork, by any chance? I placed my order nearly 2 years ago.......and am still waiting for a delivery date :eek:

#101 ·
Well, well! Nope, I''m a Scot, one of the large expat community here.

Loads of MINIs here (the locals appreciate a small but high quality motor), but mainly seem to be Luxembourg, German or Belgian registrations - much fewer French ones .

Off to the Vosges next week - have heard there are some great MINI roads to be driven!

(Sorry if this is off-topic, folks) :eek:

#107 ·
At the Belgium + Luxembourg launch event for the JCW today, got a hint that the launch event for the R57 will be sometime "mid-March", and they may even be asking first customers to firm up their specs by the end of the year. Suddenly, it feels not much time to wait (only another 6 months :eek:)

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.