MINI Cooper Forum banner

R57...when???

35K views 211 replies 50 participants last post by  dalboyne 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when the UK will get the R57?

#157 ·
Well, I really like the look of the cabrio, the best looking R56 yet. Flat sale allowing (please don't fall through! PLEASE) I might have a MCS.

My only question is, with the new improved pop up roll bars, do you reckon they've found a way to give a full-sized aperture when the rear seats are folded or will it be much reduced?

#162 ·
It'll soon be time to decide what colour your cabrio will be! Think it looks great in Chili Red ;)

Love the alloys on the Pepper white one though, but think it would suit a black roof better, the beige roof looks good with blue.

Just need to see one with an Aero kit now :)

Attachments

#166 ·
And here's the latest official response from MINI to my email expressing my increasing irritation at their attitude of denying the R57! - they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot! :eek:

"I am fully appreciative of your loyalty to the brand, and can understand your excitement but also your frustrations whilst awaiting full details on the new MINI Convertible. We are yet to confirm full details of the new models available to our dealership network, including a confirmed launch date. We have not released information to the press, although many believe a new model is on its way. There is much press speculation surrounding the new model, but as no official information has been released to the press, much of the information is based on assumption and expectation.

We expect to have full details on the models available at the beginning of December, but at this time have no further information to provide you until nearer this time."

#169 ·
Well, they are trying their best! Here's the latest reply (I am beginning to feel almost sorry for the folks at Customer Information):

" Confirmation of any new model whether in the BMW range or the MINI range is advised to us once final approval has been given. Up to that point neither we nor the MINI Dealerships are offered any information on the new model. The information you have obtained may well be far more than we have but it is based on speculation, rumour and spy shots.

If we had any information that we could offer you, please believe that we would gladly let you have it.

Although virtually all MINI drivers love their car and develop a close bond with their MINI, your enthusiasm for the Brand is very clear to us and I would wish to assure you that we are not being obstructive but that we simply do not have any information to send to you.

The information available to us is that the new MINI Convertible is anticipated for launch in the Spring of 2009 but we have no guidance on what engine models will be in the line up.

From our point of view, we would expect to receive confirmed information towards the end of December 2008/beginning of January 2009. I would therefore recommend that you stay in contact with us so that we can give you the information just as soon as we are in receipt of it ourselves.

I trust this guidance will go some way to reassuring you that we are not withholding any information from you."

The thing is, if they were that serious about selling me a new MINI, I think they would try a bit harder by promising to send me the information literally the moment they have approval to release it . Or maybe offer me a free return ticket to Detroit in January so I can see the new machine in the metal on launch day (except of course they don't apparently know about a new model being launched on 20th January......) ;)

#170 ·
PMSL:p

Thats the most you're going to get out of them I think, its more than most have ever got:p

The reason they won't commit is that they will be at the point of getting approvals, wrapping up testing, and all of these things could push launch back, so why promise to the user a launch date which could still move;)

#174 ·
Just saw two new Cabrios about a mile from the factory (in Wheatley). They flashed by two quick to get my camera phone out. Both were a pale yellow (not the mustard yellow) and had their whole front side panels masked in black. They also had their tops up which was a shame given the sun was shining very brightly! :eek:
That's on one of the more regular test routes. Apparently. :ninja9ab:

Keep your eyes peeled and camera ready if you're about that way much. :D

#183 ·
Quandary!

I look at the various photos of the R57, and then I look out the window at my current Cooper Cabrio.... I keep thinking that I'm very happy with my current car, and that the new one doesn't appear to offer any thing significantly different or so much better that it is actually worth committing to the new model! :eek:

Sure, a new car will have a warranty, the economy will be a bit better and the emissions will be a bit lower, the pop-up roll bars will improve rear view, and the overall build quality may be improved. But, from the pictures, it doesn't look like the roof design has changed much (if at all), the rear screen does not look any bigger, IMHO the front end does not look as good as my R52, and I still have not warmed to the R56 style central console and controls.

I was seriously considering a Cooper D Cabrio, as my new job involves the mileage to make this worthwhile. But all the rumours imply that this model will not be launched next spring, and may not arrive till 2010 :eek:

So, what do you think? Should I:

a. Keep my R52, accept the higher risks of expensive breakdown & roof wear and lower economy?
b. Commit to a launch delivery of an R57 (petrol)?
c. Wait and see before making any commitment?

(Just to make life more complicated, I have worked out that, for the same money I will have to spend on changing from my 2004 model to a new 2009 model, I could keep my current R52, buy a brand new small cheap car for my work commute, and still have money in the bank!!!!)

Cheers!

Ian

#185 · (Edited)
Ian, I agree...Option C.

If you can wait, do so. You can always say no later. Since this will be my first MINI, I am totally excited. But let me tell you, I could have made the purchase or order 2 years ago. I waited for the main reason that the new model cabrio is supposed to be more fuel efficient due to the improvements in engine design finally applied to the r57. Later did I find out that the Pop up roll bars would be included. That has to make topless driving more fun. I hope and we'll see.

#186 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.