MINI Cooper Forum banner

R57...when???

35K views 211 replies 50 participants last post by  dalboyne 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when the UK will get the R57?

#2 ·
Is there an R57?? All of the 57/08 plates i have seen are all the same as the R56.....i think we are past an R57 model....maybe an R58/R59 etc, i think its called an R50 because the shape came out in 2000, R53 because it came out in the 53, and R56 because it came out in the 56 plate.

i think anyways!

#9 ·
Early 2009 is currently the best estimate I've heard, and that's from more than one trusted source.

My order was placed when the R56 was launched, so I've already been quite patient! And with the news that there will be a facelift, I really, really hope that they will addrss the majority of the issues that seem to remain controversial about the R56. Top of my personal hit list is the interior design......folowed by the headlights. But, considering the placing of the headlights is a major engineering issue, and the requirmeents for improved pedestrian safety, this is not an enhancement I'm realistically expecting....

Oh, and I really, really hope they will also introduce a decent metallic or pearlescent red - I am ot over-impressed with Nightfire Red.

(12 months and counting....!)

Ian

#14 ·
Facelifted Cab

The facelift is the kicker. I wouldn't want to by a March 09 plate "new" MCSc then find that by time the 59 plate is out there is a facelfted one. It is usual BMW policy to wait 3 years for a facelift and the new R56 came out in Nov 06... Also running a Cab out of warranty is a bit of a worry.

#15 ·
The facelift is the kicker. I wouldn't want to by a March 09 plate "new" MCSc then find that by time the 59 plate is out there is a facelfted one. It is usual BMW policy to wait 3 years for a facelift and the new R56 came out in Nov 06... Also running a Cab out of warranty is a bit of a worry.

Nah it will be like when the R52 came out, that was facelifted along with the hatch mate.:D

#27 ·
So the R57 is just the new Cabrio......No harm to the Cabrio people but the Mini in my mind just looks funny in that version. Personal taste probably but its certainly not for me. The local dealer up here has a whole forecourt full of them, so much so I asked what it was all about. I had to drive in the other direction 12 miles to another dealer to take a look at the second hand cars they had. st the Cabrio?

#29 ·
Did you see many R52 cabrios on the production line at all? From what I can tell they seem to have almost died out on the car transporters I see leaving the factory (I usually see at least two transporters while jogging the Oxford Eastern By-pass). I saw one cabrio (Pepper white) in total yesterday, which is probably a new low - especially with the onset of spring. Maybe the overseas ones that are railheaded show a higher percentage.

I think people are holding fire for the R57, yet I'd almost considering trying to get one of the last R52s, but not if they are stopping this July!

#30 ·
Did you see many R52 cabrios on the production line at all? From what I can tell they seem to have almost died out on the car transporters I see leaving the factory (I usually see at least two transporters while jogging the Oxford Eastern By-pass). I saw one cabrio (Pepper white) in total yesterday, which is probably a new low - especially with the onset of spring. Maybe the overseas ones that are railheaded show a higher percentage.
In the US, R52 sales has fallen dramatically.

Attachments

#33 ·
Actually, the cabrio was launched in July 2004, so that makes it just under 4 years old, although the car it was based on is 7 years old. There's absolutely no reason not to buy it, unless you are very fashion conscious.

You know what the original-new MINI is like, you know what the new-new MINI is like; you know what the cabrio is like and the new cabrio will offer absolutely nothing more than the new-new MINI with, pretty much, the original car's soft top. So pick which MINI you prefer and either buy now, or wait. The fact that it is "7 years old" can only mean that they've pretty much ironed the bugs out of it by now.

Tigger.

Reactions: dalboyne
#41 ·
:puzzled:

I very much doubt it! Why junk their R56? It's a fantastic car that is even more technologically/environmentally sound than the supercharged version and they obviously weren't even in the market for a soft-top or the'd wait for the R57.

If they really-really missed the supercharger I'd imagine they'd try and get their hands on a low milage end-of-the-line R53 S but you'd think they'd have wieghed up the pro's and cons when they bought their R56 S!? :puzzled:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.