MINI Cooper Forum banner

New MINI Cooper S Owners Roll Call.....

243K views 726 replies 306 participants last post by  dsheldrick 
#1 ·
Another roll call thread...

All the lucky people who've already got their hands on your new MINI Cooper S, please say hello, tell us about your new car, and if you're feeling generous post some pics and driving impressions for the rest of us!

:)

#2 ·
Well I thought I better join this forum,

You can see my car here:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-mini-cooper-s/130793-my-new-mini-cooper-s.html

Done just over 90 miles in my car already today and all I am going to say is WOW, WOW, AND WOW.

If you turn the stero off I can just begin to hear the Turbo Whistle hope it gets louder with more miles. The sport button is amazing you can feel the difference its just brilliant, I wonder why they put it to the side of the passenger, Perhaps its for then they get scared they can turn it off lol just a thought,

But Its just truly amazing, Crusing in 6th on motorway doing 70 just push the peddle down and it takes off wow you doing crazy speeds in seconds, a great motor way cruiser too very comfy.

But I still cant find the last 2 speakers grrrrrrrrrr and its annoying me.

Any one have any questions???

#3 ·
I have now done about 60 miles round the lanes etc. As its my first Mini I can't compare it with previous model. My points of reference are my Boxster S and, dare I say it, the Saxo VTS it replaces.

Really impressed with the quality feel, it feels really solidly built. No rattles. It clearly has lots of power as wants to go. I think its harder to drive slowly than the Boxster. Nice four square feel on the road but perhaps a bit more insulated from the feel of what the wheels are doing than I expected.

I like the radio controls with the speedo except the rather isolated on/off volume control. I love gadgets and being able to program the options is great although it took me a while to discover that I needed the ignition on to do it.

Its taking me time to get used to the impression of limited depth to the windows when in the car. Maybe the previous model was better in this regard as i understand the waistline has been raised a little.

I find the standard suspension fine as the roads round here are not always very smooth and I would not want the ride any firmer.

A few minor disappointments. There is no oil level read out when starting from cold. The Boxster and the Saxo both have this and I like to have that reminder. And, as has been noted elsewhere, no temperature guage. But these are minor points.

I am very happy and looking forward to getting some more miles on.

#5 ·
Collected my new Laser Blue Cooper S last night and have done 150ish miles so far.

The increase in quality is fantastic compared to my old 52 Cooper, everything seems well screwed together. And performance is amazing, especially with that Sport Button pressed! It's going to be difficult not to press it every time I start the car. The feel of the steering is completely different to the old car, light but also firm with plenty of feel.

My old Cooper had SS+ and the new S has Sport Suspension, and the new version is definately more forgiving over rough roads. I live in the country and the ride could get tiring with the old car but is much more acceptable with the new S.

The stereo is going to take some getting used to, but seems to work well. It doesn't seem to sound quite as good as the BOOST in my old Cooper though. I have my iPod hooked up via a Belkin charger and it works fine. Looking forward to the official iPod connector though as the Dealer says it'll show track names on the speedo display.

The hardest thing is going to be keeping it under 4500rpm for 1250 miles!

Paul

#6 ·
I picked up my Laser Blue MCS today but haven't had much chance to drive it yet. Over the 30 miles I've covered so far it's proven to be very rapid and nimble. It reminded me of the Mini One I had a few years back, so must have some MINI-ness still! I say reminded; my One wasn't this solid or this. Nor was it as complicated to learn when it comes to the electronics. But the DAB's working nicely and the sound quality through the hi-fi upgrade is very good.

The Sport button really firms up the steering and I've not found any problem with the indicators either - hold part way if briefly changing, push all the way to leave on permanently. Tap in the opposite direction to cancel.

Anyway, here are a few pics; I've included a couple showing the display from DAB - you can display track names and even news headlines, depending upon the station.

One pleasant surprise for me was the Flame Spokes - in real life they have a lot more depth and contour to them, looking much more interesting than in most pictures. They're still not a patch on some of the older wheels, but for a nearly free option they looked better than I expected.

I'm off to the south coast tomorrow, so will get a much better feel for the new toy then :D

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks Olly. The TV is tempramental in built up areas it has poor reception, in open areas works crystal clear with great sound. When I upgrade my audio it should sound wicked. When you release the handbrake with the engine on of course the visual on screen cuts out however the audio of the channel can still be heard which is cool.