MINI Cooper Forum banner

Using iPhone 4 with Bluetooth or Snap-In

28K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard of the Hills 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got my car a month ago and I've been googling around to solve my issue, the dealer here wasn't that much help as I can see they don't know that much about what I need.

Based on the FAQ on the website, I have a Mini Cooper S 2008 (R56). It comes with the LCD Navigation screen and system. I only have Aux input but no USB. in the Armrest I can see that I can plugin a snap-in adapter.

I paired my iPhone 4 with my mini via bluetooth and when it comes to phone calls, the phone works perfectly. I can see all my contacts, I can dial/receive calls without any issues, even voice commands work as expected.

The issue I have is with media. I need to play my iPhone 4 music on my Mini via Bluetooth and it would be even better if I can control the media using the iDrive. But I failed to manage that.

Dealer couldn't help me with this, and to have the USB in my system would cost over $1,400.
so any idea on how to utilize the bluetooth further?

also will my issue be resolved if I buy a snap-in? such as this: BMW & MINI iPhone 4 Bluetooth Snap-in Adaptor Phone Cradle

I really appreciate the responses.

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't have the dealer-installed iPod connector (or whatever the prep is for it) in the secret compartment* do you? I imagine if this was the case the car would also have USB next to the AUX input, but it might be worth a check!

Apparently the item you've linked is the genuine MINI iPhone 4 snap-in... remarkably cheaper than the dealer price of £117 though?

Either way, assuming it's the same piece of kit, there's discussion in this thread. Mixed reviews, but a quick read indicates that it may not do, successfully at least, what you require.

There's some further discussion about more basic alternatives here. Hope that helps. :)

*This entire thread may also be of interest to you: iPod + Bluetooth Q's

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

@minicore I have the secret compartment and the Aux input, but no USB connection in any location. :( I think I might order the snap-in and hope to be lucky. I've seen the other links you've provided, it has different experiences but I will keep trying.

@muse2me I've checked the url you've linked, based on the FAQ, it says that I can play at least my media via Bluetooth, but I failed to do so using the iPhone 4, it might be due to the iPhone itself.

I've also taken my car to the dealer to install the latest firmware version for my car including Bluetooth, hoping it might give me more functionality to my phone, but still the same. I will try my wife's BlackBerry and see if I can play music with it.

I will keep you posted.

#5 ·
I don't think the combination of all you are after is possible from what I've read on other forums.
I've seen a cable on eBay before the plugs into the bottom of the iPhone and then in to the Aux. Costs about £8 IIRC and that gives best feed back of all due to the output from the standard is for headphones and down rated. I believe track info isn't possible.
Maybe a bum steer but I think that's how I remember it. Good luck anyway.

#6 ·
Last night I found my hardware ID from the bluetooth help menu, inputting that ID in the mini connectivity site showed that my bluetooth doesn't support play/streaming music :(

I found out after I ordered my snap-in last friday LOL, I think it will be good to charge the phone while driving and get better reception too :)

I will inform you guys how it works and if it adds anything new...

#8 ·
I have had the same problem with my MCS and Iphone 4S. I can pair it Bluetooth and send/receive phone calls, but not stream music to it. I also have the ipod connector in the glove box and happily connect an ipod nano (4Gb) but anything bigger (ipod touch, 8Gb or iphone 4s 32Gb) seems to overwhelm the Mini's memory system. Also the 4S and touch won't charge through the connector (although the Nano does). I can use the 4s through the aux port, but then I have to select music etc through the 4s, not through the steering wheel controls (and obviously it won't charge, unless I use a cigarette-lighter charger). These are minor annoyances that we all have to live with, unless someone out there has a real solution to allow music streaming through bluetooth and still retain the track selection via joystick or steering wheel?

#9 ·
Since I last posted, I have been able to connect my iphone4s through the connector in the glove box. Either an update from apple in the iOS or some sort of update at the last service of the car. Originally when I plugged it in it came up with the message on my phone about not being charged, and the sound system wouldn't recognise the attached device and i was unable to play any music etc, but now it says on the phone "this device may not be compatible", but it is. I can play all of my music and podcasts etc through the connector and cable in the glove box plus remain connected to the phone function through Bluetooth. I still cannot play music via bluetooth.I can control the music through the joystick, too!

#10 ·
@'Richard of the hills; minor annoyances? my iphone 4s has played music over Bluetooth in a range of hire cars for the last three years, plays over Bluetooth in my 14my focus and in a range of jaguar and land rover models and even over a halfords' finest pioneer aftermarket hu in my old dog weekender

my wife's shiny new 15my mcs coupe, though, shuns that and her sony xperia. just picked up; just frustration.

aux 3.5mm works but why would I do that?

Bavaria vs the world again. they're worse than apple. right now I'd take the damn thing back.

ac

#11 ·
Yes, I can play my music via bluetooth on a number of different vehicles, including landcruiser workmate 4wd Ute, Hilux, Isuzu 4wd truck, numerous models of hire cars, and send receive phone calls etc, but the R56 with the bluetooth phone just does not connect for bluetooth audio (music etc) on an Iphone 4s.
I think that the logic is that if the ipod/Iphone is in the glove-box which is cooled via the aircon system, and plugged in via the ipod/iphone cable, then threre is less chance of it overheating, less chance of it being seen while driving (thus safer) and possibly less chance of it being stolen from your car because someone saw it in the snap-in connector in the centre console and thought that they would like a new iphone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.