MINI Cooper Forum banner

Engine light when sat in traffic

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SneakinHysteria 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
My brother was driving around town yesterday stuck in traffic for 45 minutes, his engine light came on with the message 'Engine, reduced power' appearing on the nav screen.

The car struggles to stay idle in neutral, with the rev counter bouncing between 300-1000 revs. It also jumps when you accelerate.

When he restart the car, he regains normal power but this time the engine light has stayed on therefore i'm thinking its more of a serious problem?! At first I thought it may have been a dodgey temperature sensor.

Please note, this problem only seems to occur when in traffic.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated :)

#2 ·
Had same warning 2 weeks ago but now real change of power or behaviour. Took tit straight to the dealer and they said a broken spark plug and swapped the set under warranty.

Had the small yellow one (emissions etc.) going on end engine struggling to keep up revs the next day and it turned out the coil on the same pot was also gone. Thanks to BMW Emergency service I was back on the road within 90minutes.

I assume this warning is very generic for all kinds of things that can go wrong.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Getting fed up with constant problems with the car now :(
Felt the same, but just think of all the joy when it works. Just get them to sort it out properly. I feel BMW's warranty policy sometimes is in the way of a more proactive approach so they really only fix one part at a time. I suppose this is aimed at preventing dealers from simply ordering a bunch of parts rather then undertaking comprehensive troubleshooting. It sometimes happens at the expense of customers and brand reputation, though.

I am happy my ignition coil went the next day so at least all that could go wrong is fixed now. Toch wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.