2007 R56 MCS Turbo blowing/damaged - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Cooper S > Second Generation MINI Cooper S


Second Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Sharkn3t's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Sharkn3t
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durban
Posts: 8
Local Time: 09:25 PM
South Africa Male
2007 R56 MCS Turbo blowing/damaged

Hi All,

I bought my 2007 MCS +/-1.5years ago. I have done 20,000km in my MCS since then with no real intense driving taking place. The engine management light came on with a reduction in power a few weeks ago and immediately booked it in BMW dealership for inspection and the 85000km service. They then came back to me saying that the turbo had blown, which I thought was very strange, remembering the turbo had been replaced not to long ago!

I bought the car knowing that is had a new turbo at +/-62000km thinking perfect, shouldn't have a problem for a long while. Not being happy and after some further research BMW told me my MCS had another turbo replaced at +/-46000km. So effectively 3 turbo in the space of 50,000km which I can not accept. BMW have told me to go fly a kite as the car in now out of motorplan and there is no warranty on warranty repairs and expect me to pay R27000 ($3140) in repairs. Apparently both previous turbos were replaced due to a blocked banjo bolt on the turbo oil feed

Granted I dont know how the car was treated by the previous owner, but even with the cap driven out of the car surely the turbo should last significantly longer than 20000 kms a turbo. I also cant tell what oil was used etc.

I am now having the turbo assessed by turbo professionals as BMW cant seem properly repair the problem/cause and aren't interested in helping me.

My questions are these:
  1. Has anyone had a similar issue with multiple turbos failing in such a short space of time?
  2. What would be the route cause of such failures?
  3. Has anyone dealt with BMW/Mini on this issue?
  4. Should I installed a new or refurbished turbo?

Time for a new car I think

Last edited by Sharkn3t; Jan 14th, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Sharkn3t's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Sharkn3t
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durban
Posts: 8
Local Time: 09:25 PM
South Africa Male
Update

Hi All,

according to my turbo specialists it looks like something has gone through the turbo severly damaging it, could this have been a bolt/debris, if so where could this have come from?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sharkn3t's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Sharkn3t
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durban
Posts: 8
Local Time: 09:25 PM
South Africa Male
South Africa Update - Turbo Part Number?

Hi All,

Ok, here's a further update and question.

So the first 2 turbos on the car were apparently replaced due to the oil lines blocking up and the turbo then over heating.

The latest chapter in this saga is that someone at BMW (the car only serviced at BMW) must have dropped something into the air intake. this something was then sucked into the turbo completely destroying it. I am waiting for the inter cooler to be cleaned out to see exactly what. So if someone wants to make some money, may be they could design/make a inline mesh protector/filter for the air intake tube.

My question is this, I am replacing the turbo with a new part. Is there any significant difference in the Turbo part number 53039700181 and 53039700163?

Please feedback urgently.

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited by Sharkn3t; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: context
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
MINI2 Senior
Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 463
Local Time: 08:25 PM
Luxembourg Male
Has the oil pan/sump ever been removed and inspected on this car? The reason I ask is that I believe there is a gauze filter that is intended to filter out carbon particles before they get into the turbo oil feed. It could be possible that you have small carbon particles in the sump that are being taken up by the turbo oil feed. These could lodge in the journal bearing and sequentially destroy turbo after turbo. Alternatively, the gauze could be caked in oil sludge and not enough oil is being sent to the turbo.

I know a similar problem exists on the diesel engined coopers. The "fix" is to drain and clean the oil pan and gauze before fitting a new oil feed line and new turbocharger.

Normally the air filter sits between the intake and the compressor side of the turbo and prevents foreign bodies from entering the compressor side. There are a couple of scenarios I can imagine although I am suspicious of the foreign body hypothesis of the dealer.

The first is that the turbo was being starved of oil again and there was play in the shaft resulting in the compressor fins striking the casing and destroying the turbocharger, the end result being you now have turbine fin debris in your intercooler.

The second scenario is that a foreign body did enter the compressor, however I can't imagine that it made it past the air filter. The only other object between the air filter and turbo intake is the MAF sensor. Is your MAF still there?

I reckon that unless you clean out that oil pan and oil piping, you'll experience yet another turbine failure.

Can't really help with the part numbers. Is the turbo a Garrett unit? If so, what's the serial on it? Should be something like GT1544V or such.


Quote: Originally Posted by Sharkn3t (original)
Hi All,

Ok, here's a further update and question.

So the first 2 turbos on the car were apparently replaced due to the oil lines blocking up and the turbo then over heating.

The latest chapter in this saga is that someone at BMW (the car only serviced at BMW) must have dropped something into the air intake. this something was then sucked into the turbo completely destroying it. I am waiting for the inter cooler to be cleaned out to see exactly what. So if someone wants to make some money, may be they could design/make a inline mesh protector/filter for the air intake tube.

My question is this, I am replacing the turbo with a new part. Is there any significant difference in the Turbo part number 53039700181 and 53039700163?

Please feedback urgently.

Thanks, Andrew

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Sharkn3t's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Sharkn3t
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durban
Posts: 8
Local Time: 09:25 PM
South Africa Male
South Africa Thanks for the feedback

I will definitely get the sump and gauze checked out and cleaned, thanks.

I would agree with you on the oil starvation on the latest turbo replacement however the front of the intake turbine is worn (see photo). looks like something was rubbing up against it. Hence why thinking that something was left in the air intake when the last air filter was changed. and Yes the MAF sensor is still there.

I have sent the car to performance tuning specialists and they have removed the entire turbo, intercooler, oil filter and lines. The intercooler is completely blocked up with debris (i have asked them to keep the debris for analysis)

The turbo in the car is a KKK turbo and the part number on it is 53039700181. I have asked the local garret supplier here and they apparently don't have a direct replacement.

Thanks again for you feedback, much appreciated,

Andrew



Quote: Originally Posted by MiniDeLux (original)
Has the oil pan/sump ever been removed and inspected on this car? The reason I ask is that I believe there is a gauze filter that is intended to filter out carbon particles before they get into the turbo oil feed. It could be possible that you have small carbon particles in the sump that are being taken up by the turbo oil feed. These could lodge in the journal bearing and sequentially destroy turbo after turbo. Alternatively, the gauze could be caked in oil sludge and not enough oil is being sent to the turbo.

I know a similar problem exists on the diesel engined coopers. The "fix" is to drain and clean the oil pan and gauze before fitting a new oil feed line and new turbocharger.

Normally the air filter sits between the intake and the compressor side of the turbo and prevents foreign bodies from entering the compressor side. There are a couple of scenarios I can imagine although I am suspicious of the foreign body hypothesis of the dealer.

The first is that the turbo was being starved of oil again and there was play in the shaft resulting in the compressor fins striking the casing and destroying the turbocharger, the end result being you now have turbine fin debris in your intercooler.

The second scenario is that a foreign body did enter the compressor, however I can't imagine that it made it past the air filter. The only other object between the air filter and turbo intake is the MAF sensor. Is your MAF still there?

I reckon that unless you clean out that oil pan and oil piping, you'll experience yet another turbine failure.

Can't really help with the part numbers. Is the turbo a Garrett unit? If so, what's the serial on it? Should be something like GT1544V or such.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130115-03396.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	165276  
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
MINI2 Senior
Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 463
Local Time: 08:25 PM
Luxembourg Male
Strange, looks indeed like wear but, at least from the photo it doesn't look like a hard impact. Pretty sure it would be much more damaged if something hard (i.e. metal) hit the compressor fan.

Two other things spring to mind. First, normally there is a rubber seal that holds the intake piping onto the turbo intake. In the photo, it slips over the turbo intake. Is that rubber seal intact? I know they can dry out and split. Seems reasonable that the turbine could have injested the rubber seal. Second, maybe something broke off the PCV valve that vents into the intake piping between the MAF and turbo inlet?

Could also very well be that something was left/dropped into the intake pipe, although that would seem rather strange to me as I think as soon as the car was started for the first time whatever that foreign object was would have simply been sucked in and you wouldn't have been able to drive anywhere.

Did they tell you what kind of foreign material they are finding in the charge air cooler (rubber? metal?)? Make sure you get ahold of some and keep your hands on it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Sharkn3t's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Sharkn3t
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durban
Posts: 8
Local Time: 09:25 PM
South Africa Male
South Africa Thanks

Thanks again for the feedback,

I will have these few things checked out, still waiting for the debris sample.

Thanks a mil

Quote: Originally Posted by MiniDeLux (original)
Strange, looks indeed like wear but, at least from the photo it doesn't look like a hard impact. Pretty sure it would be much more damaged if something hard (i.e. metal) hit the compressor fan.

Two other things spring to mind. First, normally there is a rubber seal that holds the intake piping onto the turbo intake. In the photo, it slips over the turbo intake. Is that rubber seal intact? I know they can dry out and split. Seems reasonable that the turbine could have injested the rubber seal. Second, maybe something broke off the PCV valve that vents into the intake piping between the MAF and turbo inlet?

Could also very well be that something was left/dropped into the intake pipe, although that would seem rather strange to me as I think as soon as the car was started for the first time whatever that foreign object was would have simply been sucked in and you wouldn't have been able to drive anywhere.

Did they tell you what kind of foreign material they are finding in the charge air cooler (rubber? metal?)? Make sure you get ahold of some and keep your hands on it.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Recent Threads
Anyone know what this knob does?
Today 12:19 PM
Last post by Dermottdog
Today 07:13 PM
1 Replies, 106 Views
R56 MCS JCW cooling system problem?
Nov 15th, 2014 05:11 AM
Last post by Richard of the Hills
Today 12:00 PM
1 Replies, 482 Views
How much do you pay in insurance?
Jul 24th, 2010 04:01 PM
Last post by whaap
Today 11:56 AM
89 Replies, 34,883 Views
Airbag resistor value: 3.9 Ohms ? For sure ?
Nov 21st, 2003 09:18 PM
Last post by mab01uk
Today 10:07 AM
4 Replies, 1,946 Views
Missing Functions
Yesterday 12:57 AM
Last post by SteveB00
Today 09:43 AM
9 Replies, 336 Views
Key button Door Unlock
Yesterday 06:48 PM
Last post by heathwebbo
Today 08:13 AM
1 Replies, 158 Views
engine will not start properly
Aug 12th, 2014 03:37 PM
by genik
Last post by genik
Today 06:13 AM
5 Replies, 961 Views
mini cooper 2007 won't start
Today 02:19 AM
by mc4400
Last post by mc4400
Today 02:19 AM
0 Replies, 155 Views
No power under 4000 rpm and hard start
Oct 29th, 2014 11:39 PM
Last post by scrappyloz
Today 01:41 AM
4 Replies, 771 Views
Cooper D DSC light and engine light
Yesterday 11:56 PM
by hyvrid
Last post by hyvrid
Yesterday 11:56 PM
0 Replies, 128 Views
Aux function not showing up
Yesterday 10:57 PM
Last post by nahumbruhh
Yesterday 10:57 PM
0 Replies, 126 Views
Chrome trim for 51 plate Mini Cooper
Dec 13th, 2014 12:28 PM
Last post by jessybaby96
Yesterday 10:44 PM
4 Replies, 374 Views
Xenon lights problem
Dec 16th, 2014 07:49 PM
Last post by IloveMyMini1997
Yesterday 09:16 PM
4 Replies, 455 Views
2008 mini cooper heating and fan problem
Yesterday 07:07 PM
Last post by gtsmyth23
Yesterday 07:07 PM
0 Replies, 133 Views
New MINI Cooper S Owners Roll Call.....
Nov 18th, 2006 10:20 PM
by Paul
Last post by RckStrGrl21
Dec 18th, 2014 09:59 PM
696 Replies, 171,472 Views
Does Increasing Horse Power On A Diesel 2.0 146Hp Dicrease Consumption?
Dec 16th, 2014 12:30 PM
by Bubu91
Last post by dirocyn
Dec 18th, 2014 09:43 PM
6 Replies, 397 Views
Distinct Thud under floor...
Dec 14th, 2014 07:33 AM
by stirlo
Last post by stirlo
Dec 18th, 2014 09:15 PM
3 Replies, 309 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2