MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 MCS Real MPG Figures

20K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  2011_R56_S_N18 
#1 ·
Guys,

I'm currently looking to purchase a new car, and I’ve got to convince the gf that the Cooper S is the right choice over the standard cooper:wink:

My only real concern would be the MPG achievable from the MCS. I know that when you’re on a country road in sports mode, the MPG will suffer but the grin factor will be increased: p

Could people advise on what MPG they are achieving with their R56 MCS

Thanks in advance

Paul

#2 ·
Always going to depend on how hard and where you drive it. Normal city driving with a little freeway speed a lot of parking lot speed on the freeway and city streets in Houston I am generally averaging 29.5 mpg. I do drive with a fair amount of velocity! Out on the highway depends again how hilly it is and speed. Up to about 75 mph I get about 35 mpg but faster than that say 80+ mph it drops down to 31-32 mpg. Easy to control with the right pedal but hard as well as it's just plain fun to mash the throttle!

#9 ·
What on earth was my car doing? I recently sold my R56 MCSC (2005) and I averaged 23mpg! A full tank costing between £55-£60 (depending on fuel prices) would last for 220 miles - it was probably the juiciest car I've ever had. I didn't do long journeys and hardly ever saw a motorway so it was mainly trundling round town. Just collected my r57 MCSC and the mpg has almost doubled and the road tax halved. If you are able, try going for a post 2009 as they're much more economic and the drive is much lighter, steering lighter, braking smoother etc. regardless of mpg it's def smiles per mile. Tell the gf she can drive it too and I'm sure she'll agree to the purchase! Good luck.

#10 ·
According to the trip computer in my 2011 R55 I'm averaging around 40mpg and my rough calculations at the pump confirm this.

I don't do much city driving or many short journeys. Mostly fast A and B roads.

Great combination of performance, flexibility and economy I reckon. :biggrin:

Bozzer

#11 ·
you guys must really thrash the balls off your car... I think i love mine too much to do that to it all the time :p

Having a blast you'll see low 30's (since you cant really blast it everywhere, i think this is realistic)... on long runs (motorway or country roads - none of this start/stop city driving), driving economically, using the instant MPG readout as guidance and trying hard to get good MPG, i've achieved +45mpg easily. These engines (when properly maintained) can be pleasingly economical for their power output, in my experience anyway! - this is an R56 turbo model, not the earlier supercharger models which are notoriously fuel inefficient.

#14 ·
I can get 45mpg at 60mph on a very very sedate run.
Under 20mpg when booting it everywhere
My average figure is around 29mpg but that is mostly town driving at rush hour.

Pretty pants really considering its not really super quick. Still massive amount of fun though :D which makes up for it!!

#17 ·
2011 R56 MCS (Is my MPG so low that there is a problem?!)

I know this is an old thread but was hoping to revive it to get some current feedback. I drive almost entirely in the city and have kept very detailed records of my MPG for the past few years (each fill up I note the average mph, mpg, and source of fuel). My average speed over 3 years has been about 24mph (mostly stop and go) and my average MPG has been 23.5mpg. I always fill with at least 92 octane.

After reading this thread from a few years ago it seems like people are/were getting much better mpg than me. Could there be something wrong with my car?

Thanks in advance for the feedback/help (this is my first post).

~Jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.