MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini popping noise suddenly very frequent

9K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris_R56 
#1 ·
Hi I know that the exhaust popping is normal but ever since I had my mini serviced It's popping awfully frequently, even when I'm pulling away without much rev.. as soon as I change gear it pops..
it will pop almost every time I put my foot down and change gear?! It even popped in third gear the other day.

do you think the ppl that serviced it put too rich oil in it or something? The car runs fine, but just curious why its popping so much.

thanks

#25 ·
I'm a new owner of a 09 and have used V-Power in it from start, but I had to fill up with regular a couple of days ago and did notice some hesitation so may be that.

Mine pops when in the first and second regularly, I find if you rev it quick then let off before changing up it will pop, think its due to the excess petrol getting burnt off, so can pretty much do it on demand.

#15 ·
I noticed the car needs to be nicely warmed up

Sport button helps

I have got it to pop in every gear up to 5th

It was going mental when i did the EVO Run

If you build the revs to 3,000 rpm then put the clutch in and change slowly it will do it all the way into 5th gear

My JCW has done a fair few miles on it at 28,000 miles plus and it definitely pops more the more miles on it

The exhaust tends to open up more at 8,000 plus miles

#16 ·
Exhaust popping -help!

Hi there,

I have a Mini Cooper S and noticed this past week that the exhaust has started popping which it never normally does. I drove 120 on Monday and it started then. It has also started blowing and everytime time I change gear or let go of the acceleration it pops and blows. I have no idea about cars so could really do with some advice off someone please. Also I noticed this morning an amount of rust deposit in and around the exhaust which has never been there before because I clean my car every week and look after it well. I noticed someone mentioned about changing fuel to the V-power which I did fill up with that last week so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Appreciate any help!
Many thanks

#17 ·
My Coupe has never popped in the 8000 miles since I got it. I'd noticed that on a light throttle at about 30mph it would hunt slightly so last week I filled up with Esso Super(or whatever it's called) instead of Momentum and suddenly it pops...woo hoo!
And as a bonus the hunting has gone.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with Momentum but there has certainly been a change.

#18 ·
Popping is normally caused by over rich excess fuel being pumped into the exhaust, the hot exhaust then ignites it causing a pop, maybe your change to another make of fuel means its slightly higher octane so a bit richer?
Be interesting to see if your mpg goes down with the popping fuel?

#21 ·
The first gen S is meant to pop, usually on overrun from around 3k. The garage may have reset adaptions, or even updated the software, perhaps they noticed it wasn't, and looked into it briefly, maybe giving you back a car working better? Maybe it was due a service?

Yes a small exhaust leak can make some popping worse. Ask them about it, it's not a complaint is it, just a question. Only my2p.

#22 ·
In my case I'm fairly certain it's fuel related. The car hasn't been near a dealer for 10 months and while a exhaust leak is a possibility it's a coincidence it started after tanking up after a change to a different brand.

Downshifting it gives a single pop around 2-3k each time but only in sport mode.

#23 ·
As The Nun, mentioned, a damaged or aged exhaust. Whilst there may be no obvious holes or leak stains on the outside of the exhaust system, it doesn't mean that the innards of the muffler haven't rusted out and or come adrift, therefore having a less restrictive muffler that is sucking in cold air and expanding within the hot muffler when your off the gas. As for fuel RON ratings, I've run mine on 91,95,98 from various suppliers and have noticed no difference in fuel consumption or performance. There was an interesting fuel comparison on "Fifth Wheel" once and whilst the higher RON gave marginally better power, in real life terms the difference was so insignificant that it wasn't worth worrying about.

#24 ·
Ive recently bought my first mini, an R53 S so dont have anything to compare to. But its got a scorpion exhaust, smaller puller and a an air filter and it pops like crazy in nearly all gears on come down.
Ive gone to the mini from a diesel and havent noticed that much change in fuel consumption so at the moment im happpy! lol.

Since ive had it ive used just regualr shell fuel, is the high octane really that much different? May consider swapping as if its really better it would be worth the extra few pence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.