As you may or may not know I've recently picked up a 2007 MCS
(about a month ago) and have to say I love it. Just so much fun. Engine Mods
So I ordered myself a Forge CAI kit and fitted that which was quite a simple task, the only thing that wasn't explained in the destructions was which end points to the Cold Air feed. A quick call to John a Forge and I was sorted.
So for anyone wondering the small cone end (the end you can see the chrome in) goes towards the Cold feed from the outside world and the big end(where you can see the filter elements) feeds the engine side.
Anyways so that's fitted now, TBH I couldn't tell you if there are any power gains but I can certainly hear the car sucking in air from the CA Intake at the front of the car. So I have piece of mind knowing that she can have all the air she wants. I use dashcommand on my iphone and have noticed about a 4 deg drop in Intake temperatures, which is also a good thing as cold air is better. Custom ICE install
The main objectives of this is to fit an ipad mini in the centre console while maintaining the stock head unit. Some fabrication is required to say the least. I will also be upgrading the speakers at the front, maybe go 3 way or just keep the 2 ways I have currently. Replace the rear 6x9's and add an amp for a stealth install.
I started on the ipad mini centre console, luckily I found a double din facia on ebay for 20 quid, no wiring harnesses or anything like that just the facia. Which was fine as I will need to hack it up to get the parts I need.
So first things first was to make a template to work from which was to cast a fibreglass mould of the facia and a basis to work from.
I covered it in thick tape to begin with to act as a release agent one I had made the cast.
I had already made a holder for my ipad mini it has 4 magnets at the top which line up with ipad mini's magnets, this will help keep the ipad in position the other thing is it will be plugged in once in the holder so will prevent the bottom from flicking out under heavy acceleration.
I used 3 layers of woven fibreglass and an epoxy resin system (I know how to use this from my 11 years of helicopter maintenance). Important thing to note is to change the direction of the weaves to give the strength required. I only used 3 layers to allow for some flex in the finished product.
Once the resin was dry enough to touch it was into the airing cupboard for a good overnight curing.
The next morning I removed the original facia and the red tape, roughly marked out the outline of the original facia and trimmed with a dremmel and cutting wheel.
I then trimmed out the heating and switches from the original facia, used some foam to space it out as the original CD player will be behind the ipad and require access. I also created a foam cutout from the bottom of the speed to ensure that the new mods would be accommodated once installed. using some foam cut to required thickness to give myself an idea of how it will look I ended up with this.
I will still have to cut out the back of the template to accommodate the controls and radio and final 2 layer final fibreglassing to create a good finish/moulding of everything, this will be tomorrows tasks.
Thanks for reading