MINI Cooper Forum banner

opening the boot - am i being special??

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  tracemul7 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

New to the forum - check out my intro blurb if you want :)
So, I got my pre-loved Mini Cooper S in Dec last year (build Sept 2010).

The only way i can open the boot is with the button on the key. But this means that i have to stop the car, turn off the engine, remove the key and press the button to open the boot.

Am i missing something?? Just seems a little silly that I can't pick up my other half and open the boot for his stuff, without turning the whole engine off.

But ... i could be just having a special moment without realising! Help!

Trace

#6 ·
That rubber pad doesn't seem to do anything, but I was unsure if it was faulty or by-design.

You could always give your other half the spare key to use?
But then he'll want to drive it more! After driving the 4x4 all week, he loves taking my Mini out whenever he can. Never seen someone so keen to go shopping or pick up take-away food :p

Its a security feature, the boot will not open while the engine is on, example so you would not get your bags stolen when you stopped at traffic lights.
I figured this could be the case, but now am confused by the responses :S

You should be able to open it with the engine running if you press the master doors unlock button on the console then press the boot rubber pad under number plate light plinth to open it?
You can on mine.
I'm pretty sure i tried this, but will give it a go again tomorrow and feedback then :)

#10 ·
No man car companies not hire these type of facts easily.You opening the boot very fist time i think so it get special for you.Glad to talk about that.

#14 ·
Hi there, I have seen this problem with many r56 models in the dealer. The best way to confirm if you rear handle button is broke.

What to do is drive as you would normal till your auto locks kick in and then use the master button to unlock all doors (in the centre dash buttons). Then try the button in the rear tail gate grip, if nothing happens and the button feels very spongy almost like there's no button to it. If this still not working,

Turn off the car and use the button on the remote key to open the boot. Then shut the boot and re try to open the tail gate if it still bit working and feels
Like there is not a button to it. Replace the tailgate handle.

Mail me if you require fitting instructions. Many thanks

#15 ·
I had a similar problem with my MCS 2007, the boot button worked one day and then not the next. The local MINI garage wanted to charge $350 to replace the whole unit (number plate lights, handle, release button) but I politely declined and put up with using the key pad to release the boot. From time-to-time i'd try it and then after a year, one day it worked! Then after a few more weeks it didn't work, so I removed the unit (4 Torx screws and 1 small electrical connector) and pulled it apart by removing the number plate light lenses and the thin plastic cosmetic cover. Leave the number plate light lenses on though, don't need to remove them.
The actual switch is on a circuit board sealed within the unit, however some careful prying along the glued seam got the cover off to reveal the microswitch. The microswitch is about 1x1cm with a button on it. It should also have a plastic pad clipped over it with a clip on two sides. This is what the button pushes against when you push the button. On mine, one of the plastic clips had snapped so that the pad would come loose. A tiny dab of super glue on the microswitch button and replace the clip-on pad to glue it to the microswitch button, then more superglue to glue the cover back into place, clip the number plate light lenses back into place (no need to remove them really) and the cosmetic cover, then re-install, and it works!!

Well it worked for me...hope this helps.

#17 ·
So I confirmed with the local Mini garage that it should work .... but when I spoke to them it was 3weeks out of warranty, so they won't repair it :angry: wish i hadn't waited so long!!

Anyways, this jobs is now assigned to my hubby to dismantle it and fix it for me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.