MINI Cooper Forum banner

Cold start issue

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  race4aliving 
#1 ·
Hi newcomer here..

So my 2011 Mini S threw out 5 codes about 3 cylinders misfiring and high pressure fuel, plausibility, cold start and pressure too low.

I have put 13,000 miles on since I bought it, had the oil changed, all good.
When I brought it in to see about the codes they changed out the plugs, checked everything else and everything looked fine.
Took it home, started it up next morning and its coughing and popping but once it warms up it purrs like a kitten.

Help me out here friends, I'm at a loss.

#2 ·
Two things may cause that problem. The first is gummed up valves. Cleaning the back of the intake valves is a fairly common maintenance item on a direct inject engine. I had to do it on mine at 25K miles because the previous owner never really drove the car (5 years old and 23K miles when I bought it). The other thing that can cause the problem is a gummed up fuel system (injectors, mostly). The easiest solution is a fuel system cleaner you add to the gas when you fill the tank. There are a variety of products available (like Techron), but the best is BG 44K. It's professional grade stuff and availability is limited. Amazon has it, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.