MINI Cooper Forum banner

URGENT - Crash in France

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mab01uk 
#1 ·
Hey all!

Bit of a newbie here, and a relatively new driver! I'd really appreciate some advice!
I have a Mini Cooper S, and managed to crash into a bush the other day.
The front right wheel seemed to have been pushed back so that, when rolling, the wheel rubs against the wheelguard.
Furthermore, the small panel in front of the door has been pushed up and out of place.
I wasn't going very fast, so it seems like a whole lot of bad luck.

Anyhow, the Mini garage I sent it two has given me an €8'000 bill, (which seems extortionate to me).
Does this seem an appropriate sum to you..? More to the point, how would you suggest I proceed?
'Kicking myself' doesn't even begin to encompass my feelings...

Thank you so much for any help, I really appreciate this!

Thanks again!
All the best,

MiniIssue

P.S.
I've posted this on two sections because I was unsure which would be best!

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends really on what its actually done? The cars these days are designed to crumple easily to absorb the impact so protect the passengers, so always look a right mess even in a low speed impact.
If its pushed the wheel back, it might have moved the subframe thus damaging the floor and pushing the A post back might have misaligned the door aperture which in turn might affect the pillar and roof structure.
You dont get much for your money these days in a professional body shop and even a scrape can be a £1000 touch.
If yours needs wheel, suspension, A post and floor repairs, then a paint job £8000 wouldnt be out of the question, MINI charge around, or did last time I asked, £110 an hour for labour and thats where the main cost is going to be.
Maybe you need to ask the garage for a breakdown of the costs so you can see what they think it needs, you could then ask around to see if you can get it done cheaper, but often this is false economy and it shows in the finished result, a sub standard repair if youre not careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.