MINI Cooper Forum banner

N14/ N18 question

29K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Caveman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but from all i have read i'm really confused.

i have a 2010 cooper S. From that i think i have the N14 engine 174 bhp?,

However i read that the N14 doesn't have the sport button "pops and bangs" and mine does.
I want to order some air induction parts but i cant find where the engine code is on the car to check which one i have

Can anyone clarify?

cheers

brad

#4 ·
decoder.html]BMW VIN Decoder/quote]

I've not come across an 'S' that doesn't have the sport button, N14 and N18.

The pops and bangs are more on the N18 engine but they both do it ;)

The rumors before were that some dealers were coding out the pops and bangs, however after complaints they ended up coding it back in.

Word on the grape vine.
Thanks caveman will check that out

ahh i see, my speedo broke 2 days after buying the car and the one they replaced it with is slightly darker the half tank mark has a black surround round it too. i'm assuming they replaced with an LCI version

#3 ·
I've not come across an 'S' that doesn't have the sport button, N14 and N18.

The pops and bangs are more on the N18 engine but they both do it ;)

The rumors before were that some dealers were coding out the pops and bangs, however after complaints they ended up coding it back in.

Word on the grape vine.

#8 · (Edited)
He doesnt mean backfiring, well he might if the cars timing is out, but it means the crackle type noise you get from the exhaust on over run/deceleration when you lift your foot off the throttle, some people like to hear it.

The old Morris Minors used to give a fart, remember those? well its kind of a similar principle.

#11 ·
The n14 is installed on minis up to 2010. The n18 is 2011 and up. You may not swap the engines because the n14 dme does not have the same n18 dme engine plugs/wiring. If you change the dme, you have to sync it with your CAS or replace all of modules (DME,CAS,Keyfob) from the SAME car. Also, you wanna make sure the options are the same. Lastly, make sure that the new modules dont have any codes specially the ABS/DSC.

#12 ·
Cooper engine compatibility question

I'm considering buying a cooper with a seized motor, the vin indicates it's a 2007, R56 with a N14 motor. However, it also says the output is 128hp....so I'm confused. The sales ad says it's the turbo. It has the hood scoop, I haven't been to look at it yet but at $1500 it seems a steal.
As far as a replacement motor is concerned, i'm seeing wildly ranging prices from $800 to $3500. What am I missing here....will the $800 motor simply not fit without extensive modification, changing other parts etc ?
I'm just looking to swap the motor, not get into making a different motor fit.

Last 7 of VIN are TT81570 - details can be checked at the bimmerwork vin checker

Can anyone please help me ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.