MINI Cooper Forum banner

Timing chain tensioner upgrade?

12K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  erikor 
#1 ·
Given all the problems stated with the N14 engine if can you change the tensioner (from what I gather is the cause?!) to a newer version? Will this cure any problems? Thanks ben

#3 ·
Timing chain tensioner upgrade

There is an improved tensioner, and that should help. But the guiderails have also been redesigned (at least in terms of materials), and the old chain itself may have "stretched". So I have heard that it is best to replace everything (chain, guides, and tensioner).

But obviously that is a much bigger job. So you could just change the tensioner to the newest version, and then keep a careful ear out for the "death rattle" indicating a problem with the timing chain.

In addition, there is a tool available to check the tension on your timing chain which will help determine if you things have worn/stretched to the point that you need to replace more than just the tensioner. Search promini.com for "Timing Chain Tensioner Tool".

(Side story: my new timing chain kit arrived by Fed Ex a couple weeks ago. I had to go to work that day, so planned to start the work on my mini that evening. On my way to work, my mini died...timing chain guide had broken and the timing chain jumped off the intake sprocket, resting on the VANOS unit, while staying on the exhaust sprocket. Dealer told me I needed a new engine. I said it was too quiet when it died to have hit the valves but they did not want to do just the timing chain. Had it towed back to my house...sure enough, I lucked out. Valves came to a stop in the closed position and there was no metal/damage apparent in the cylinders. I installed the new timing chain I already had, and the car purrs like a kitten again.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.