MINI Cooper Forum banner

engine/turbo steam/smoke

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pokeyjoe 
#1 ·
Evening all.

I'm new to the forum and have just recently purchased a 57 plate Cooper S, which I'm really enjoying.

Just recently had the car serviced at BMW where the oil/filters/sparks where changed along with a health check. I have also just recently installed the GFB DV+ after the service.

I was just wondering if this is normal but in the last couple of days i've noticed steam or smoke coming from the bonnet scoop when sat at the traffic lights. Blipping the throttle creates puffs of the steam/smoke through the vent. I've opened the bonnet and I can see when the throttle is blipped, this small buff of steam/smoke is coming from the turbo/turbo heatshield area. The steam/smoke is white in colour.

Any ideas please?

Cheers.

Dan.

#2 ·
Look at the top of the turbo where the oil line connects. Is it wet (or does it look wet)? If so, your oil line is leaking (common problem) and the heat of the turbo is burning it off (smoke). It would stink, too. Do you smell anything? Do you have any leaks on the ground under the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.