MINI Cooper Forum banner

No power under 4000 rpm and hard start

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  das_mini13 
#1 ·
Ive recently brought a 2007 r56 cooper s after owning 6 r53 cooper s. I brought it needing a little work and im now on the last issue and im having trouble sorting it.

The car takes around 3-4 seconds to start from both hot and cold.

Also under 4000rpm (out of turbo range) the car is very very slow and under powered,to the stage where its dangerous sometimes. Over 4000rpm it seems ok.

I have scanned the car and have no fault codes at all.

Any help would be great

#3 ·
Just before i removed the inlet manifold the car went into limp home mode. I code read it and it was 2885. This is the first time since i have had the car and its gone into limp mode. I have driven 500 miles in it with no codes.

I removed the inlet manifold and cleaned the inlet which actually wasn't too bad.

Also i checked the bov diaphragm and replaced the vacuum hose that runs to the wastegate whilst i was there. I also gave the car an oil and filter service.

After putting it all back together the car ran exactly the same :(.

About 5 minutes later i turned the car off and when i restarted it and drove about the car now has no boost put still throws no fault codes.

Sigh

#4 ·
After doing about 350 miles with no boost and finally getting some time off work i decided to check everything again. I pulled the manifold again and for the hell of it cleaned all the intake ports till they looked like new.

I also replaced all vacuum lines with genuine Samco lines. I but it all back together including new plugs and new recirculating valve on the turbo.

After fitting it all i drove it down the road and back and it had boost back over 4000rpm but still took 3 seconds to start and lacked power under 4000rpm.

I switched it off and when i went to drive it again, it had no boost again :(. I also still have no fault codes.

Im really struggling to find out what could be causing this. Even if i bypass the boost controller and run a a vacuum hose straight from the vacuum pump to the wastegate it makes no difference. I do have vacuum btw.

is it possible the tank vent has failed and all the boost is being forced into the fuel tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.