MINI Cooper Forum banner

RS56 Cooper S Power Issues?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  winchcoop 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Have a problem with my November 2006 RS56 Cooper S. On start, if you pull away full throttle there is very limited power. Rev it up and lift off it makes an HUGE crackles and pops (sounds great, impresses my friends but I guess not right). Also on a very cold start the idle will wobble a bit and wander and stall if you are not careful pulling away, which could be dangerous. When the car warms up power is restored.

Any thoughts? Coil pack or fuel pump is my current guess....

#5 ·
I suspected this - but since this only happens on a cold start I never get the opportunity to show the dealer!

Still, the quote I had from Wellsway was not too bad (£200 for the part plus a few hours labour so may go to a good indie).

Either way the problem needs more investigation.

#7 ·
Problem solved! This was the common carbon build up issue! I had the car walnut blasted last weekend and now it is incredible. I didn't think this would affect my car being 43k miles but apparently this is a common issue on cars 35k upwards. I do think this may be due to the last owner running it on scrapyard fuel :/

Either way, very happy and as usual she will see nothin but super unleaded from BP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.