MINI Cooper Forum banner

Sudden Clutch Failure @48K miles

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bofus 
#1 ·
Clutch suddenly went to the floor. The clutch had been totally fine, no signs of any issues and no noise. Had the dealer fix it, I'd post a pic but I don't have 15 posts to do that.

The clutch material was completely torn from one side of the clutch disc. The other side was fine. The side that was ripped off was on the flywheel side, the dealer says no damage to the flywheel, fortunately.

There was PLENTY of meat still left on the clutch, so I'm not sure what can cause the material to separate from the disc like this.

2008 Mini Cooper S with 48K miles, second owner. They are blaming the first owner for being hard on the clutch, but I'm still not sure how this can happen.

#2 · (Edited)
It is possible to damage/distort the clutch central hub when ham fisted refitting is done allowing the gearbox to hang on it before its fully pushed home and into position, this can cause early failure later, maybe this is what really happened, unless the one that failed was one of these Chinese repro things? was it the original though or had it been renewed before?

#3 ·
Original clutch...says Veleo on it. I'd post a pic, but apparently one needs 15 posts to be able to do that.

So, you're thinking that dumping the clutch or doing tons of 0-60 starts on it can cause the friction material to completely let go off one side?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.