MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rattles and Squeaks like an old pickup truck

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sjp3003 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 MINI Cooper S hardtop that I bought new in May 2012. It now has 30000 miles, and it rattles and squeaks endlessly on rough roads. I live in New York City, so rough roads are the norm. The rattles and squeaks are prevalent on city streets and highways with rough pavement (meaning almost all of the local highways.) When I drive on a smooth freeway, of course the car is quiet.

I have mentioned this to the dealer at every service, and they say that they tighten this or that, but it never helps.

I have noticed that the noises are worse in the winter than summer, which makes sense because of thermal expansion and contraction.

So my question is: Are MINIs prone to rattles and squeaks? Does that just go with the brand, or is there something wrong with my car?

#5 ·
Ours had squeaks that seemed to come from the rear and I was able to pinpoint at the doors. Turns out the door seals were not properly sealing on bumpy roads. I applied a rubber conditioner along the door frame and it was gone, especially after treating the top part where the window rests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.