MINI Cooper Forum banner

cleaning the throttle

15K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  genik 
#1 ·
How can i clean the throttle?
Not only with what but also how will i manage it? Do i need to unmount it? How will the valve open etc.

#2 ·
If its a Gen 1, remove the air intake tube from the filter and the throttle body, disconnect the vacume line, unplug the electrical lead, undo 4 bolts and remove the throttle body, take care not to damage the rubber gasket on the underside of the throttle body. Get a can of throttle body cleaner from your local auto store and spray it and use plenty of clean rags to wipe out the rubbish.

Also place a clean rag in the intake after you take the throttle body off so nothing falls inside (don't forget to take the rag out before you put the throttle body back on).

The valve is just a butterfly valve like a normal carby except its controlled by an electric motor (drive by wire), just be gentle if you need to open it but you will have access to either side so just spray and wipe, no real need to open and close the valve.

#10 ·
Probably the fact that i cannot accept that it needs replacement! :laugh: (to be frank i think you could be right!)
How can i be sure that it needs replacement? Here are the error codes given: P1638, P1637, P2102, P2103. Do any of them indicate that its not a matter or cleaning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.