MINI Cooper Forum banner

Aftermarket DVD/Nav system

51K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  TurboTronix 
#1 ·
Like a lot of you with a non-nav mini, I am interested in upgrading the system, both the audio itself (fairly straightforward and available) and more importantly, adding a screen, and removing the large speedo.

I have found this, recently available, and wondering if anyone has seen one working, or has tried this themselves.

It quotes only working for Non-nav systems, integrates with steering wheel controls, etc etc.

It's a little underpowered at 800Mhz and 256MB ram, but that's not really a huge problem, it's a screen for satnav and media playback, and if it works without reprogramming, I'm interested.

http :// blog.autodvdgps.com/car-dvd-player-2/new-release-car-dvd-gps-navigation-system-for-2006-2013-bmw-mini-cooper/10233/]{New Release} Car DVD GPS Navigation System for 2006-2013 BMW Mini Cooper | QualiR Blog

What do you guys think?

#3 ·
Your post intrigued me so I had a look around. I have decided to bite the bullet and ordered one:

aliexpress.com/item/6-95-Car-GPS-Navigation-Autoradio-DVD-for-Mini-Cooper-2006-2013-with-Bluetooth-IPOD-RDS/32399635784

It looks like fitting it wont be a 2 minute job! This one comes without the map card too but it's just a standard SD Micro, less than a tenner on Amazon, the Nav software is easy to download too and there are several different options.
Now just have to wait up to 3 weeks for delivery! I'll let you know how I got on after it's fitted....

#4 ·
Oooh how exciting! I'm so interested in this. Most aftermarket stuff like this is a bit hit or miss, but this one seems like it has potential. I'm particularly interested to know if the screen can be tapped into, so I could go dow the CarPC route with this speedo unit. Very interested in your progress, will follow this one to the end, and if it goes well will likely buy one of these too.

I have extensively looked into retrofitting a LCI unit with DAB, or a full NAV unit, and not only are the parts hard to get hold of and expensive, but there is so much coding and re-programming to do, it's just put me off completely. this system does seem to remain independant from the car's programming, and so hipefully is more straightforward to fit and get working.

Looking forward to updates!! If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!
Craig

#5 ·
Craig,
Quick update, they contacted me today insisting I send them a picture of my dashboard before they would process the order (even though they've already took payment). While I was in contact with them I asked about Nav Maps and my initial thoughts were wrong, I will get a map card and iGo 9 Western Europe included...

#6 ·
this is looking more and more promising. So someone called you to check your dash? One would assume that makes this a genuine part, something that will indeed work and not like those fake memory cards or african mobile phones that look like a galaxy s4 but are actually just some cheap 2g knock-off

I suspect I will be following you down this road. Been doing some research on WinCE6.0 and as a member of the geek club I quite like how customizable this potentially will be

Looking at the pictures of the back of the unit, it seems it will pick up all the connections that the stock stereo has, and therefore should also take the car info like mpg, range etc. and also integrate with the onboard bluetooth. only 256MB RAM and a fairly low end 800mhz cortex a9, but still, for a car stereo this isn't bad, even without the GPS/Maps.can't wait to see how you get on with this. Exciting stuff

#7 ·
Well this was all a bit of a saga! A few hours after informing me the original system would work I got a message saying their tech dept told her it was for pre 2006 Mk1 Mini, (mine is 2009/09).

She said not to worry they had a better version of the system that would work with my car and I could have it for the same price, I agreed I would have the updated version instead.

A few days later she contacted me again and said I would need the newer LCI version centre console or cut a larger hole in my console to make the head unit fit! I asked how much this would cost and she told me they wouldn't send it from China as they are easily breakable.

A quick search on a well known auction site and I got one for £40 which also came with the newer black LCI climate control and window/fog light toggle switches.

Once the stereo was dispatched in only took 3 days to arrive, then there was another drama, it was delivered by DHL who wouldn't bring it to my door until I paid another £19 in customs taxes.

I paid, it was delivered the next day. I opened it and immediately noticed the speedo around the outside was in Kmph!

I contacted the seller and told them I would need to return it for one with MPH. She said she didn't understand, so I sent her an image of my speedo showing MPH and the other showing Kmph. She said hers was better as it went up to 260 and mine only went to 160! It became clear that they didn't do the unit with MPH.

I decided it didn't matter as I use the digital display behind the steering wheel anyway. Then I had a worry that if I had Kmph it may fail it's next MOT, I called the Mini Dealer who said it wouldn't fail having Kmph, it was perfectly legal, so I kept the unit.

I fitted it this afternoon, the actual fitting was quite painless, the unit came with all the connections and wires to just slot in to where the old one was. I even managed to fit the USB connector in the same location.

It does exactly as advertised SatNav, Bluetooth, RDS Radio, streams music, phonebook etc from my iPone and sounds a lot better than the old one. It also shows all the information from the Mini computer MPG, average speed etc, its shows door open images, seatbelt not on etc. It also works seamlessly with the fuel gauge, fog light indicator lights, cruise control light, MFSW etc.

All in all I'm very pleased with it, it would of been perfect if it had a MPH speedo!

Attachments

#8 ·
Another quick update. The unit still works really well... However, I very quickly realised after taking out the key it forgets all it's settings after about 20 mins?

Its a shame because it's great otherwise. I have searched the internet for hours to find a resolution, I've read numerous fixes that involve swapping the red and yellow wires in the harness, the harness it came with only has the yellow (12v constant) wire, I tried moving that to the 12v switched connector but it wouldn't turn on.

I have contacted the support in Hong Kong who have passed me around many different techs and engineers who all ultimately ask me to push the pin to 'Factory Reset' which doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

#9 ·
I found the problem with saving settings if anyone is interested.

I have just had the brake fluid change done on the car and the dealer forgot to reset the service indicator, it had turned red flashing up every time I started the car. I reset it myself while I was working out the radio and amazingly, the problem has gone!

#10 ·
good work Danjor!!

I am going to be getting one of these on the next pay run..

If I understood you correctly, then I also need the LCI black facia with the black buttons on it as well as the unit itself? (i have a pre-LCI 2010 MCS)

Apart from the faffing with the delivery etc, didn't sound too difficult to replace and get working. All in all a good upgrade I think. How is the responsiveness of the system itself? With only a 256Mhz processor I'm not expecting much, but if it can handle navigation and playing MP3s whilst not freezing or locking then it's doing it;s job!

C

#11 ·
The whole thing was just plug and play, no coding required.

This is an upgraded system, the processor is Dual Core 800 Mhz with 256 RAM, running WinCE 6 for Nav. It's very responsive, the UI is pretty good actually, better than I thought it would be.

The MP3's were taking a few seconds when selecting between albums, however even though it is USB2 I swapped to a USB3 stick and that has improved the speed.

You don't need the LCI switches/AC, just the console fascia. The one you have now has probably got the Boost system with an on/off, volume switch below it. You would end up with a hole!

See pic.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Craig,

If you search for Zestech ZT-BM708, you'll see the one I bought. You need to look around though, there's loads of different companies out there selling the same thing for hugely differing prices and delivery costs.

I got mine from a company called LSQ International.

Here's some more pics.

Attachments

#13 ·
I'm still having issues with the saving of settings, everything saves except the wallpaper and clock. I set the clock to sync with GPS so that rights itself within a few seconds, however I am having to re-set the wallpaper every time.

I suspect it's something to do with the car cutting 12v power 20 mins after locking the car.

You also can't see the clock unless your on the home page or use the clock button, as the original clock goes with the old speedo, this is a bit irritating after a while. I brought that point up with the seller, who told me to wear a watch.

Apart from that though, it's good.

Attachments

#14 ·
An interesting bit of kit, very clever hardware and coding from a small company, shame its KPH I'm surprised they don't do MPH as it would open up the the US market to them,(edit...just saw one in MPH on youtube) to keep the memory could you connect the 12v constant directly to the battery? (if you do do this put an in-line fuse at the battery end)

#15 ·
Thanks Drozd, if I connect it straight from the battery do I use those ring connectors straight to the + terminal? What gauge wire and will the current ground be sufficient?

I have ordered a reverse camera (again from china, it fits in the number plate light). I could wire it to the battery when I fit that.

I'm not too bothered about it being Kmph, I never used the old speedo anyway, I just use the display behind the steering wheel.

#16 ·
I'm sure there must be a permanent live under the dash or fusebox, but if not connect direct to the battery (+ red) or a live lead that comes directly from it, maybe with a ring terminal under the pinch bolt, use the same gauge wire that is already in the kit leave the earth as it is, remember the in-line fuse at the battery end or the new wire will not be protected, as a positive under the dash will already run through a fuse, If you don't feel confident in wiring get a auto electrician do it, as shorting out wires can cause a lot of damage.

#18 ·
Danjor, so happy this is working for you, and wasn't too difficult to install.

I'm about to order this one:

htt p : // www . aliexpress.com/item/Quad-Core-Android-4-4-4-WIFI-3G-car-dvd-player-navigation-system-for-bmw-mini/32465825745.html

There is a strange pink(?) speedo surround, but I think I can sort that myself. This one is quad core, android, and should do all yours does and more. 1024x600 screen too.

I will let you know how it goes...

#22 ·
Not sure what software it runs for maps, but it is Android 4.4, so really, it kinda doesn't matter.

The blurb:

GPS
GPS ANT Chip U-BLOX 6010-st
Sensitivity -160 dBm
Start Cool<26S, Hot 1S
Accuracy <5m
Map Storage Built-in Flash or SD Card
Maps Support iGo, Navitel,Tomtom, Sygic, Google map online etc

#23 ·
Yes, I did see the Android version when I was looking around. I did a search to compare the 2 systems, the Android is more powerful but is prone to freezing and takes longer to boot. The Android is new and the Nav is also prone to freezing, whereas it's more established on WinCE 6, I also couldn't get over the colour!
There's pro's and con's with both, go with what ever you're happy with.

Drozd, as Craig said there are a multitude of choices with the Nav, choose whichever software takes you're fancy. Mine came with iGO Primo 2.4, which I'm very happy with, loads of options with it including spoken street names (TTS). The maps are extremely easy to update, there are lot's of sites out there with instructions to update most of the Nav programs you can use. I have already updated mine to 2015 Q2 dated August.

Just a little tip with the GPS Receiver, it has a sticky pad on the back, when you take the Speedo unit out you can place it behind. There is a little shelf-like gap just under the dash, I stuck mine there and loosely coiled the excess cable. When you put it all back together its completely hidden under the dash and works perfectly fine.

#24 ·
Ref the +12v, from what I can research, MINI has a Car Access System (CAS) which powers up when you press the fob to open the doors and continues for 20 mins after you press the fob to lock it again (I think). Designed to protect the battery from running flat, the +12v from the old radio is definitely connected to this, however the old speedo clock was connected to some sort of constant power?

The 12v switched (red) wire, is supplied from a separate feed going via the display screen, then to the DVD HU, so it turns on and off with the ignition.

When you have your phone plugged into the USB does it continue to charge 20-30 mins after locking the car and then cut off?

#25 ·
Ref the console/fascia, if you search in the well known auction site for:

BMW MINI COOPER R56 2007 - 2014 CENTER HEATER CONTROL PANEL AND SWITCHES

There is a few there, this particular one is listed for at least double what I paid for mine and has manual AC but it has a good picture with the part number on.

Another little tip! The one I bought was from a convertible, so the ACC/Toggle switches wouldn't work plug and play. I gently prized it apart and took off all the button covers, including the chrome temp display, then did the same with mine and swapped them over, essentially the original ACC switches are still in the car.
I am going to re-list the old one back on the auction site.

There's absolutely no need for any of this faff, if you're happy with silver your current unit will fit, I just preferred the 'black look' of the LCI.

#43 ·
I have been wanting to change my grey auto aircon/climate control from grey to black. Are you saying that you simply removed the grey buttons only and added the black ones from a later unit and all worked ok? I was wondering if that would work as the wiring is so different between an 07 56 cooper s and the newer models the unit cant simply be swapped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.