MINI Cooper Forum banner

New to mini and advice

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Oakleyguy 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I know this is sort of an 'introduction' post.

Been lurking for a while, great site. I have read many posts regarding my question.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a Cooper S (possibly a JCW). I was looking at a '07/ '08/ '09 model with as many extras as possible.

BUT, all the scare stories about the chain etc on this model (N18?) have given me second thoughts (now poss looking at the older model).

How widespread are these issues really? Do I just take the plunge, enjoy the fun and keep my fingers crossed? Would I do better going for the supercharged model, mpg/ road tax not really a problem.

I'm purely looking at this from a reliability issue as opposed to the argument that turbo is better than supercharger issue. I'm just wanting to get a mini, whichever model.

Thanks in advance for any info.

#4 ·
The 2nd Gen Cooper S didn't get the N18 engine until March 2010 for European builds and August 2010 (LCI) for North American builds. JCW models didn't get the N18 until the 2013 model year.

You can check the engine type and options of any MINI you're considering by entering the last 7 of VIN here.

#5 ·
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the "death rattle" providing the car has been kept properly serviced and hasn't been to the moon and back. I believe BMW issued a technical service bulletin which told dealers how to correct the issues using n18 parts. You could always check this had been done as well.

#6 ·
Well, It took fair while...but...

I pulled the plug last month and I have now become the owner of a 2012 JCW hatch. Mine is a BRG version, 25k miles with full leather. I went for this one as it was a main dealer approved buy as I was wary of the 'death rattle' issue. Shame this '12 engine version still appears to be in the potential victim section.

It looks like the original owner interior options were limited on this one (gutting it has no bluetooth but may look at something like a parrot system after doing a bit of research).

The engine and chassis more than make up for the above. It's happy bimbling about at the speed limit or going for a 'spirited' drive. The sport button is pretty good fun as well.

I'm very fickle when it comes to cars, rarely keep them more than 8-12 months so we'll see how this one gets on!!

#8 ·
I purchased my Midnight Black 2013 FJCW in June from my local Mini dealer.
It had 12K on the clock and I've been extremely pleased with it.
Best car I've ever had, the previous Mini I had to this was a 2004 R50 which I purchased new.
The difference is.......incredible! :big_grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.